cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hesitant to file - Consolidation an option?

tag
klrmac
Regular Contributor

Hesitant to file - Consolidation an option?

My credit is completely shot right now... like mid 400 scores... etc...

Is it possible to consolidate? if I could get all if it into a managable single monthly payment I think I could pay it off, obviously in years but I really do not want to go bankrupt but it's starting to look like my only option. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hesitant to file - Consolidation an option?

What are your debts, income and expenses?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The damage to your credit is usually the nonpayment/collections prior to bk, rather than the bk itself (not that bk has no effect). I know, it's a Big Deal that we want to avoid at all costs, but it might be worth at least 1 free consult with an attorney to explore your options and also consult with a reputable (preferably nonprofit) credit counseling agency. That's not to say you can't also consider other options, but just be sure to think critically as you go about this. There are a lot of predatory companies out there.

I'm not sure what articles I'm allowed to link here, but try Googling: "bankruptcy effect on credit score." You'll see most of the articles say the same thing: the deleterious effect comes not from the public record of bk, but from the previous nonpayment and CO (both of which you presumably have; I certainly do).

Tread carefully but also don't be afraid to do what you have to do for your financial/physical/mental health. 

Message 3 of 5
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@klrmac wrote:

My credit is completely shot right now... like mid 400 scores... etc...

File, the damage is done. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What are your debts, income and expenses?

OP, this^^^^.  List your debt for better responses.  We can answer your question based on an assumption.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.