Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How BK friendly is Barclays??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How BK friendly is Barclays??

Going to be doing alot of travel in the next year, and Im looking into the Barclays Jet Blue card. BK7 was discharged aprox 4/17 this year. I have applied for, and been approved for a $3K Capital One Quicksilver. Anyone have luck with Barclay Card shortly after BK?

Pizza

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: How BK friendly is Barclays??

@Anonymous wrote:

Going to be doing alot of travel in the next year, and Im looking into the Barclays Jet Blue card. BK7 was discharged aprox 4/17 this year. I have applied for, and been approved for a $3K Capital One Quicksilver. Anyone have luck with Barclay Card shortly after BK?

Pizza

Barclays is BK friendly in terms of not automaticcally denying an app just because a BK is reporting, like Citi & Chase do. But they will also never be the first one to extend you credit like Cap One will. Barclays will want ot see postivie payment history for at least 3 accounts, for at least 6 months, 9-12 months is better.

If you just have 1 Cap One card and it's only 4 months post discharge, that's too little & too soon. Try getting at least 2 more accounts, even if they are secured like a secured CC or a secured credit builder loan from a local credit union. They came after me with an application invite letter a little over 1 yr post BK DC & 3 positive accounts reporting. I've been in good with them ever since, now 5 1/2 yrs post DC I have over $14k in CLs between 2 cards.

Message 2 of 22
daveg38
Established Contributor

Yeah, Barclays is on my 18 month (post d/c) card list.

@DaveinAZ: Just out of curiosity, how long did you wait for Lowes? I think Synchrony hates me for IIB a Walmart store card.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped Barclays too early because I had burned Cap 1. They denied me, but sent a preapproval letter in the mail 6 months later. At the time, I had a Credit One card and a credit union secured card. I was approved for $1500. It's the only preapproval letter I've received, and I'm not sure why they decided to take a chance with me, but I'm looking forward to a CLI after 6 months with them (next month). I use the hell out of my card. This month, I ran about double my limit through on the card. I pay it off weekly.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bankruptcy was discharged 3/14. I tried a couple of times but finally after about a year and a half, I know have a Barclay reward and a Barclay cash forward card.

Message 5 of 22
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Barclay is VERY BK friendly. App'd 1 month post DC and only reason given for denial was "insufficient history." The nice lady on the phone said to get a couple more TL's in my own name (I'm AU on 6 of hubby's cards and have 1 CC and 2 secured loans in my own name) and to reapp in a couple months! I have added 2 cards and a car loan and can't wait to reapp in a few months. Looking forward to this card as my first prime card post DC!
App'd for Rewards MC.
BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 6 of 22
holmesnmanny
Contributor

Barclay's wants atleast 6 months history on about atleast 3 cards. They will deny you but if you recon they will normally override if you have atleast that. This is what happened to me. They will normally need to manually override if you were foolish enough to send continuous applications before the 6 month mark as some of us did. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 7 of 22
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I apped with them at 6 months post discharge with only my Credit One card and go tin with a $750 limit.  Two years later, currently sitting with a 10K CL with them.  They auto increase every six months on the dot - it's nice.  They are my daily driver.  I have the Rewards Mastercard, and so far in two years, have racked up over $1200 in reward dollars that I've redeemed here and there.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 8 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@daveg38 wrote:

Yeah, Barclays is on my 18 month (post d/c) card list.

@DaveInAZ: Just out of curiosity, how long did you wait for Lowes? I think Synchrony hates me for IIB a Walmart store card.

Sychrony is actually pretty forgiving of including them in BK. I included a couple Synchrony accounts, and actually had a Lowes card thatt I hadn't used in awhile and had a $0 bal, but they closed it when they got BK notice on the other accounts. I got a Walmart card right at 2 years post DC, in  store promo of $25 credt for new account & $100 spend, so I gave it a shot, approvedf for $1k CL. Got it up to $2500 w/auto CLIs, and then used chat to get $5k. 

Lowes was right at 4 yrs post DC, but just because I'm not big on store cards and had no need of a Lowes card. But then I needed new flooring and wanted the 0% deferred financing so I app'd. Approved for only $750 CL, so I called recon, explained the flooring project and got $5k.

Message 9 of 22
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

Yes, they are BK friendly. I don't have the Barclay's Jet Blue card, but I was approved for a Barclay's Cash Forward card of $1,500 in July 2016 after my BK7 was discharged in May 2016. Before the Barclay's approval, I had a Pen Fed Thrifty LOC of $500 approved in June 2016, a Discover IT card of $1,400 approved in June 2016, a share secured installment loan of $1,000 opened in June 2016, and 2 auto loans that I reaffirmed in the BK. Basically, very little new credit established after my discharge. My scores were TU 644, EQ 651, and EX 620 at the time, but they only pulled TU on me. I have since also been approved for a Capital One Quicksilver One for $3,000 (Another BK friendly lender, especially since I burned them in the BK). 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.