cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long To Wait After Bankruptcy To Apply For Car Loan...

tag
jrbell10

How Long To Wait After Bankruptcy To Apply For Car Loan...

Hi Guys! I'm a newbie here. I just filed for bankruptcy last year because my husband got out of the military (and jobs are impossible to find around here) Smiley Frustrated It was discharged in January of this year. So, it's been recent. My questions are how long should i wait before applying for a car loan? Also, how long should I wait before applying for a credit card? I have no idea what I'm doing with any of this! I don't want to do any hard inquiries if I'm going to get denied. We are in desperate need of a car BUT I'M NOT ABOUT TO BUY A PIECE OF JUNK BECAUSE OF A BK. I will save every penny and pay cash first. Smiley Indifferent However, I see it coming up soon and I'm worried that I won't be able to save enough cash in time. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I owed everybody and their grandmother so our BK included A LOT of the big name places (JCPenny, Walmart, Victorias Secret, Cap One the list goes on and on). Any ideas on where I should start to rebuild this mess that we've gotten ourselves into?

Ursula

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: How Long To Wait After Bankruptcy To Apply For Car Loan...

Have you looked at your credit reports and verified everything is reporting correctly?  What are your FICO scores?

The last thing you want to do is go out and start applying for credit and car loans when your reports aren't correct... that will definitely lead to swift denials and wasted inquiries.

You are free to apply now for whatever you'd like... AFTER you verify your credit reports.  That's how I would do it...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me personally, I file chapter 13 in April of last year. My chapter 13 was dismiss 1-15-15. I reinstated and converted to a chapter 7. Now I'm waiting on my discharge for 6-15-15. I clean up my credit reports to have everything showing included in bankruptcy and 0 balance. I apply for a discover student chrome card, no I'm not a student, and was denied the regular card with a score 492 and was counteroffer the secure version. Only information Discover request was proof of bank account ownership. I follow the advise of another member called Discover and PC to a secure regalur discover it. They change it over with no problem. Hint: the student version is a easy approval. Depend on how your Accounts IIB is reporting. I dispute 3 collection they were remove, so I think that help with the secure Discover card. My chapter 7 still show a file date 4-1-14.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, student version Discover pull Transunion.
Message 4 of 8
jrbell10

So my scores are as follows: 

CK - Transunion 657

CK - Equifax 663

MyFico - Transunion 556

MyFico - Equifax 538

MyFico - Experian 570

I don't know why there is such a difference between the CK numbers and the MyFico but I'm going with MyFico. Like you said, the last thing that I want to do is run out and start applying for stuff when I'll probably be denied. I have checked my reports and everything is showing as being in BK (except for my student loans). Just not sure what I should apply for first. Should I go with a secured card or should I wait and try for an unsecured later?

Ursula

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Others member had success with Capital One post discharge.
Message 6 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Yes.

Try Capital One.  Unsecured.  I'd wait on a car loan... unless you don't care about having a 20% interest rate.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@jrbell10 wrote:

So my scores are as follows: 

CK - Transunion 657

CK - Equifax 663

MyFico - Transunion 556

MyFico - Equifax 538

MyFico - Experian 570

I don't know why there is such a difference between the CK numbers and the MyFico but I'm going with MyFico. Like you said, the last thing that I want to do is run out and start applying for stuff when I'll probably be denied. I have checked my reports and everything is showing as being in BK (except for my student loans). Just not sure what I should apply for first. Should I go with a secured card or should I wait and try for an unsecured later?

Ursula

FAKO vs. FICO

Credit Karma is ok to monitor your credit, the scores are just useless unless you happen to find a lender that pulls Vantage Smiley Happy I agree with other posters, give Cap1 unsecured a chance first.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.