cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after discharge before debt status changes?

tag
6speed8
Regular Contributor

How long after discharge before debt status changes?

Discharged 6/10. All that's on my credit reports right now are: First Premier/Credit One/Capital One cards - all new with $1100 total credit line, my student loans - 21 times between original lenders/transferred,etc and one medical bill. The medical bill is still listed under COLLECTIONS but in the remarks is does say Chapter 7. Is that going to stay under collections or is the collection agency now supposed to change the status ?

Also, I got sick of seeing NELNET still reporting my 6 student loans as open since February when they're supposed to be $0 balance (disability discharge) so I spent three hours on the laptop Sunday afternoon and did online disputes with all three agencies over it. Maybe that will get NELNET to move their asses. They're showing up as $18,000 in open installment loans whe it should be zero.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Re: How long after discharge before debt status changes?

Congrats on your discharge! Go back in and dispute with all 3 CRA's to have that medical taken out of 'collections' status. It needs to be just 'closed'. Also, your dispute online with the CRA's should force those student loans to report as IIB. This is providing that they are not Federally subsidized student loans, which are non-dischargeable in most cases. Congrats again!

Message 2 of 4
6speed8
Regular Contributor

@beezer32 wrote:

Congrats on your discharge! Go back in and dispute with all 3 CRA's to have that medical taken out of 'collections' status. It needs to be just 'closed'. Also, your dispute online with the CRA's should force those student loans to report as IIB. This is providing that they are not Federally subsidized student loans, which are non-dischargeable in most cases. Congrats again!

Thanks !! I ammended my disputes to include the medical one. As for the student loans...  I submitted my Disability Discharge monitoring form for 2013 by fax to Nelnet. No issues. I mailed the 2014 form in May 2014. With zero contact about it, In November I got a letter stating "Since you did not submit your 2014 Monitoring Form, your loans were reinstated." I called immediately and told them I have a copy of the signed and dated form which I mailed. She told me to fax it immediately, which I did. In the meantime, I got a letter stating my first payment was due January 15th. I called and they said since it's going to take some time, I should submit a deferment form. I said no. Before January 15th, I received a letter stating the Discharge was reinstated but on February 27th, the 6 loans were reported "Open. Payment deferred until February 2025." So another call. I was told "We report on the 30th of each month and it takes some time for the loans to be returned to us." She also asked if I submitted my 2015 form - third and final one. I told her I haven't received one. She told me to write a letter stating from January 1,2015 to present, I've had zero taxable income, put my account number on it, sign and fax it, which I did.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 3 of 4
beezer32
Regular Contributor

It sounds like you just need to roll with the punches and jump through all of the red tape loopholes. You're doing everything right by keeping on top of getting it eliminated AND by cooperating with their requests to have certain forms/letters submitted. Kudo's on not filing a new deferment too. That might have been a mess. Keep us updated!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.