cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after paying retainer?

tag
queenmama

How long after paying retainer?

It has been a little over two weeks since we have paid the lawyer's retainer fee in preperation to file chapter 7.  We have taken the credit counseling class. How long should we anticipate the lawyer taking to file?  The secretary told us last week that it should be another couple of weeks.  Is this timeframe typical?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long after paying retainer?

@queenmama wrote:

It has been a little over two weeks since we have paid the lawyer's retainer fee in preperation to file chapter 7.  We have taken the credit counseling class. How long should we anticipate the lawyer taking to file?  The secretary told us last week that it should be another couple of weeks.  Is this timeframe typical?  Thanks!

In most jurisdictions a BK can be filed electronically so, unless the attorney is tied up in another very time-consuming case, I don't see why it would take a month.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine filed the same day but since he filed electronically and sent me an online questionnaire that had me input all my info which fills out the online form- It wasn't rocket science on his part. I was told that many attorneys won't file until paid in full since their fees become unsecured debt that is dischargable.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine filed the same day but since he filed electronically and sent me an online questionnaire that had me input all my info which fills out the online form- It wasn't rocket science on his part. I was told that many attorneys won't file until paid in full since their fees become unsecured debt that is dischargable.

True.  Few will file until paid in full.

Message 4 of 6
queenmama

Well, I guess I'll email and call every few days and hope that he will take the hint and speed things along.  At this point - I'm feeling pretty frustrated - we are in an endless cycle of payroll loans and the longer it takes him to file the longer it will take us to recover -we are still receiving never ending calls from creditors - we give them the lawyers contact info - but they still keep calling.

I provided all information to the lawyer about a month prior to paying the retainer in full, (then just gave the recent addition of paystubs and current bank statements, we completed the course the following day after paying the retainer.  This Friday will mark 3 weeks since paying all fees/retainer in full -  I just don't understand what the hang up is!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@queenmama wrote:

Well, I guess I'll email and call every few days and hope that he will take the hint and speed things along.  At this point - I'm feeling pretty frustrated - we are in an endless cycle of payroll loans and the longer it takes him to file the longer it will take us to recover -we are still receiving never ending calls from creditors - we give them the lawyers contact info - but they still keep calling.

I provided all information to the lawyer about a month prior to paying the retainer in full, (then just gave the recent addition of paystubs and current bank statements, we completed the course the following day after paying the retainer.  This Friday will mark 3 weeks since paying all fees/retainer in full -  I just don't understand what the hang up is!

You might want to drop the hint to the lawyer's secretary that you intend to file a grievance with the state Bar Association.  An attorney has the obligation to act in a timely manner to protect his client's interests.

Once you have paid in full and completed the class, it shouldn't take more than a week.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.