cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for the court to close your case after a discharge?

tag
GettingBack2Basics

How long does it take for the court to close your case after a discharge?

I filed for a Ch7 and it was just discharged last night (confirmed on Pacer after getting erroneous information from court clerks). I contacted a school that I am trying to re-enroll in and she advised that she is able to see the discharge, but the court has not closed the case so I have to wait until that happens before she can update my accounts. I'm confused because I assumed that the discharge was the closing.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: How long does it take for the court to close your case after a discharge?

it's closed after a year.  however any corrections to reporting she should be able to make with a discharge.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 5
GettingBack2Basics

That is what I thought as well but she said that they would keep watch on my account and make the adjustments as soon as the court officlaily closes my case, but doubt they would wait a whole year for that. I will inquire further to make sure that I have a clearer understanding of exactly what they are waiting on.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 5
GettingBack2Basics

I actually just chatted with a court clerk who said that the court closes the case after two weeks. Maybe this is the close that the school rep was speaking of. I'll give it the two weeks and then check again.

Message 4 of 5
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Mine was closed the same day as discharge. Trustees all have different ways of doing things, but if you are a no asset case, with no issues, it could be closed in a few days or a couple of weeks. If the court clerk says two weeks, he/she should be aware of the procedures in your district.

The only time a 7 could take a year to close (as the previous poster said) is if there are assets to be sold and reconciled.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.