cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long????

tag
meka1922

How long????

How long does a chapter 13 bankruptcy stay on your credit report....I am hearing like 3 years. Can someone please tell me I thought it was 10 years???

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How long????

Chap 13 stays on 7 years.

Chap 7 stays on 10 years.

Message 2 of 6
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@meka1922 wrote:

How long does a chapter 13 bankruptcy stay on your credit report....I am hearing like 3 years. Can someone please tell me I thought it was 10 years???

The times SO10 quoted were from filing.  Most CH13 plans take 5 years from filing to discharge.  Which means ~2 years from discharge if you complete a 5 year plan.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 3 of 6
meka1922

My plan was for 3 years, I started March 28 2011-will finish March 28 2014 so by March 2016 it should be discharged or not showing on my credit report??? Wow, I was never told that.

Message 4 of 6
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

No. You've got the math wrong.

If you started 03/11 it will be on your report until 03/18.  7 Years from the date of filing.  It's only 2 years from discharge when you have a 5 year plan (7 - 5 = 2).  If you have a 3 year plan it's 4 years from discharge (7 - 3 = 4).

Regardless of plan length, it is ALWAYS 7 years from the date of filing when you complete your plan.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 5 of 6
Officer737
Established Contributor

@SoulMaster wrote:

No. You've got the math wrong.

If you started 03/11 it will be on your report until 03/18.  7 Years from the date of filing.  It's only 2 years from discharge when you have a 5 year plan (7 - 5 = 2).  If you have a 3 year plan it's 4 years from discharge (7 - 3 = 4).

Regardless of plan length, it is ALWAYS 7 years from the date of filing when you complete your plan.

-SM

+1, err forget the number as it may be more confusing, it's exactly what SM said

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.