Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's my post ch7 progress?

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

How's my post ch7 progress?

So I filed ch7 in April, 2016 and discharged in July, 2016. I had hundreds of thousands in medical debts that were discharged, as well as two car loans, and credit cards I ran up while trying to stay afloat with the hospitals.
In hindsight, I should have filed sooner than later, but it is what it is.

My scores from the 3b here at myFICO are all currently 640-650. In the 8 months since discharge, I've got the following rebuild-

1-car loan the day after discharge. 2008 chevy impala, 22% rate $185x72. I've been paying $200 a month.
2-car lease in November for my wife. 2017 chevy traverse lt. $360x36 with just a $750 trade from her old vehicle. It's a lease so I'm not paying extra.
3-USAA secured Amex. $1000 limit, currently at $0
4-discover secured. $1000 limit, currently at $930, but I pay it down to about $50 before statement date every month
5-PenFed thrifty credit line. $500 limit, currently at $0. I use it as my student loan payment account. Some months I use the thrifty account, some I don't.
6-fifth third secured MasterCard. $500 limit, $0 currently. It pays the monthly $7.95 for my daughters abcmouse.com account. That's it.
7-kohls $300 limit, $0 balance
8-jcrew $250 limit $0 balance
9-ocerstock $500 limit $0 balance

I've managed to build my savings account back to $5,000 and I'm putting 6% into my 401k to get the full match. I do all of this as the sole income in my house and with a wife and six kids. I think it's pretty good progress. Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How's my post ch7 progress?

You're doing well! Hopefully you'll be able to get some unsecured credit cards in the future but slow and steady wins the race. 👍🏽
Message 2 of 3
nomadicpixie
Valued Member

Re: How's my post ch7 progress?

Looking good! Garden for a while and hopefully the next step up cards will become a possibility. Hopefully in a bit you can refinance the first car loan for a better rate. 

BTW- darn impressive the savings and planning, especially with a big family. With four kids I have a hard time staying afloat. Definite kudos there and keep up the good work!

Rebuilding from BK 7
EQ-554 TU-567 EX-542 ~ Day of Filing (2/2017)
EQ-559 TU-496 EX-510 ~ Day of Discharge (6/2017)
EQ-696 TU-677 EX-679 ~ Current (4/18)
Credit One, Merrick, Paypal, Overstock, Pottery Barn, NFCU Secured & CapOne
Live, learn, and overcome
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.