Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

Amberlina202: When I joined the Navy League, I got 2 emails from the Navy League just a few moments after I joined. The first one was a receipt email and the other was a welcome email. Neither had my NLUS membership number. I took the welcome letter with me to a NFCU branch and used that letter to join because it shows I joined the SD chapter. The branch used it with no problems.

TXinandout: I joined NFCU in the branch. I opened a checking, saving, a CLOC, and a cashrewards Visa. My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged in 2012.

Guyatthebeach
Message 41 of 527
BizyBee

Amberlina202:
Well, I've called them twice already. Something messed up on their end over the weekend and any applications and payments that occurred haven't gone through on their end. I called the second time today and someone said they were expecting someone to fix it. She suggested I call back later in the week because once it's fixed I still may not get any confirmation of anything. So, I just want to make sure they at least get the application and payment correct so I can get something in the mail from them. Unfortunately for me, I didn't save my onscreen verification. 

Message 42 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

So about 4pm est, I got my welcome email and receipt! I was going to call but after seeing your message BizyBee, I figured I'd just wait it out, but then the emails came through. I considered emailing my documentation in, but figured I go your route nfortunatately, it was a bit late to go into the branch near my job.  I figure I'll go at lunch tomorrow, that way I can fund the account at the same time.  

Message 43 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi TX,

I was denied a CLOC and after speaking to several people (the last person was nasty but give the info I needed) I was finally informed that it was due to the bankruptcy.  I was approved through PenFed for two credit cards with 5K limits each.  Maybe PenFed is a little more friendly to us with recent bankruptcies.

Message 44 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

So about 4pm est, I got my welcome email and receipt! I was going to call but after seeing your message @BizyBee, I figured I'd just wait it out, but then the emails came through. I considered emailing my documentation in, but figured I go your route nfortunatately, it was a bit late to go into the branch near my job.  I figure I'll go at lunch tomorrow, that way I can fund the account at the same time.  

Amberlina202,

I think going to the branch is the best route to go if you have ever declared bankruptcy.. 

When you go, be prepared to show them that you joined the San Diego chapter of the Navy League. I would cover all the bases by taking 2 ID's, your SSN card, utility bill, your 2 most recent pay stubs, and your discharge papers, along with money to fund the accounts.  

If if you open a totally free checking, you will have to remind them to order the checks because they're suppose to be free.  

Good luck if you decide to apply for the CLOC and or a credit card.

Guyatthebeach

Message 45 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

So about 4pm est, I got my welcome email and receipt! I was going to call but after seeing your message @BizyBee, I figured I'd just wait it out, but then the emails came through. I considered emailing my documentation in, but figured I go your route nfortunatately, it was a bit late to go into the branch near my job.  I figure I'll go at lunch tomorrow, that way I can fund the account at the same time.  

Amberlina202,

I think going to the branch is the best route to go if you have ever declared bankruptcy.. 

When you go, be prepared to show them that you joined the San Diego chapter of the Navy League. I would cover all the bases by taking 2 ID's, your SSN card, utility bill, your 2 most recent pay stubs, and your discharge papers, along with money to fund the accounts.  

If if you open a totally free checking, you will have to remind them to order the checks because they're suppose to be free.  

Good od luck if you decide to apply for the CLOC and or a credit card.

Guyatthebeach

Thanks, I was acually sitting here trying to decide what products I want should everything go smooth and I get the account opened tomorrow. Since my Bk is still relatively fresh and I've added more store cards than I should have Smiley Frustrated , I think I just want to get the checking & savings account. I figure if I can start to build a good relationship with NFCU and acually "stay" in the garden through the BK 12 month mark, or just a little over, a lot of the HPs I got from begining my rebuild will fall offand my score should go up a bit. Plus, I'm thnking i'll save the additional hp for now and get a better SL. That is unless the credit products pull from the same hp as the account opening, but i don't think so....right?

Message 46 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

NFCU hits your credit every time you apply. 

I dont know know your history, but I'd app for the cash rewards card. You may get approved even for $500. If they decline you and counter offer, I'd take secured card as a vehicle to get your foot in the door.  

Good luck!

Guyatthebeach

Message 47 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does NFCU like to see you wait after discharge?

Is the Cash rewards the "starter" card?

I want to get my Cap1 Platinum 3K SL three months to soak and the Allient CU account reporting for three months as well, then apply for something with NFCU.

Message 48 of 527
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi TX,

I was denied a CLOC and after speaking to several people (the last person was nasty but give the info I needed) I was finally informed that it was due to the bankruptcy.  I was approved through PenFed for two credit cards with 5K limits each.  Maybe PenFed is a little more friendly to us with recent bankruptcies.

Thanks for the datapoint, I've rad here of some people getting a credit card right after discharge. What were you scores when you applied and how far from your discharge. I find the bk response a little off, did you receive the denial letter and reason?

thank you!

BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 49 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

Navy does tend to be a little shy at first with the LOC.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 50 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.