Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

I just joined NavyLeague and spoke to a NavyFed rep since I don't have a branch in my area, she said I can't join online I had to fill out the paper form and fax it back with my proof of being a member of Navy League. Just an FYI for those wanting to join. If you do the live chat the rep will send you the form there, and you can then send it back with you info proving you're a member of Navy League.

Message 51 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just joined NavyLeague and spoke to a NavyFed rep since I don't have a branch in my area, she said I can't join online I had to fill out the paper form and fax it back with my proof of being a member of Navy League. Just an FYI for those wanting to join. If you do the live chat the rep will send you the form there, and you can then send it back with you info proving you're a member of Navy League.

You can also search for the member application on their website. Then just fax/email everything in and not have to worry about calling in. I know some don't like to call for one reason or another

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 52 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. I didn't call I just used their "chat now" option on the website and just had the woman send me a link. I guess I could have found it myself, but I also had questions on processing time etc.

Message 53 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I went into the branch close to my job on lunch and as soon as I told the greeter I wanted to start a membership through the NLUS,  she was like "NO" and immediately tried to give the military/family  only speech.  I POLITELY advised her on how it was possible with the NLUS San Diego chapter and she had me wait while she researched it. After a while, she came back and apologized for the misinformation,and  said they couldn't do it at the branch, and that I would need to call or send in the app. This branch is in the North Atlanta area btw. I guess it's a YMMV thing in the branch, so I just came  back to work and just faxed everything in. Now just waiting to here back. 

Message 54 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TXinandout wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi TX,

I was denied a CLOC and after speaking to several people (the last person was nasty but give the info I needed) I was finally informed that it was due to the bankruptcy.  I was approved through PenFed for two credit cards with 5K limits each.  Maybe PenFed is a little more friendly to us with recent bankruptcies.

Thanks for the datapoint, I've rad here of some people getting a credit card right after discharge. What were you scores when you applied and how far from your discharge. I find the bk response a little off, did you receive the denial letter and reason?

thank you!

I have not received the letter so I am only going by what the last representative told me.  Fico Score 8 shows EQ: 652 (7 INQ) TU: 662 (5 INQ) EX: 665 (3 INQ) 

Message 55 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting about PenFed. I worked for them doing collections for 4 years. I know as an employee you're required to have good credit, and even with good credit I couldn't get ANYTHING, yet they would give people in Guam 50k CCS and 60K auto loans.. 1st off no one in Guam makes enough to justify that line of credit, period the end. They did however last year just switch over to risk based lending, so they possibly might be lending to people with BK now, I know they used to not do it. The new CEO is really pushing HARD to reach his goals in his Drive to 75 Initiative.. so maybe he's the reason behind people getting stuff after BK. Good thing I still have membership with them Smiley Tongue

Message 56 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's interesting about PenFed. I worked for them doing collections for 4 years. I know as an employee you're required to have good credit, and even with good credit I couldn't get ANYTHING, yet they would give people in Guam 50k CCS and 60K auto loans.. 1st off no one in Guam makes enough to justify that line of credit, period the end. They did however last year just switch over to risk based lending, so they possibly might be lending to people with BK now, I know they used to not do it. The new CEO is really pushing HARD to reach his goals in his Drive to 75 Initiative.. so maybe he's the reason behind people getting stuff after BK. Good thing I still have membership with them Smiley Tongue

PenFed has REALLY lightened up on BK's Smiley Happy

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 57 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I went into the branch close to my job on lunch and as soon as I told the greeter I wanted to start a membership through the NLUS,  she was like "NO" and immediately tried to give the military/family  only speech.  I POLITELY advised her on how it was possible with the NLUS San Diego chapter and she had me wait while she researched it. After a while, she came back and apologized for the misinformation,and  said they couldn't do it at the branch, and that I would need to call or send in the app. This branch is in the North Atlanta area btw. I guess it's a YMMV thing in the branch, so I just came  back to work and just faxed everything in. Now just waiting to here back. 

WOW! So sorry, sounds like you got a bad rep that didn't want to help. That's unfortunate as I've yet to have a bad experience with NFCU.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 58 of 527
kobe2012
Established Contributor

I read on another thread that San Diego chapter isn't taking anymore more members or apps...is this true? I just joined today and put San Diego council as my preferred... Had the welcome email and my receipt... It would suck if I can't join Nfcu.. Can I also just email my form and try anyway.. I got their fax number but email would be easier ..

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 59 of 527
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Do any of you know what are the min. scores to get love from PenFed???

BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 60 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.