Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
armymom
Regular Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Guyatthebeach is correct.....you must follow these steps to the letter. I did and was approved for the cloc and the go rewards cc. I did go to the branch and they give me some hassle about being able to open it there, but after a few calls to the help desk it was done.  They had issues because they had never opened a acct under NL-SD branch....So, I was the first..Yay!!

On another note... Guyatthebeach, what should I expect to happen now from NFCU.....what is my next best move?

Thanks in advance

Bunnimom,

Now that's been one month since I joined, I already have been able to set up my mobile banking. I'm waiting for my first Visa statement to cut. 

My plan is only use Navy Federal as a savings account CU for right now. After reading how people have had their accounts frozen and then closed, the whole thing has made me a little Leary. Im going to wait a few months to see what happens. 

I'm going to use my card a few times a month and see what happens. I have read that NFCU does an auto CLI after the third statement if you meet their criteria. If I do get an auto CLI, I am going to call to call for an APR reduction. Otherwise, I'm going to let the card age nicely.

Life's a beach!

Guyatthebeach

After reading several posts of accounts being frozen,  I am very leary of closing my main checking account as well.  I opened checking as well as savings but won't keep enough funds in them to cause a financial crisis if my accounts are frozen.  Time will tell if I make navy my main checking.   Eventually I plan on applying for the platinum card for it's low APR just for that rare emergency I can't pay in full.

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 131 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with you armymom.

I'm direct depositing cash every payday into savings, and opened a cash rewards visa. I'll see how it does over 6 months to a year before I move my primary checking.
Missing a house payment due to a frozen account doesn't sound fun.
Message 132 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

So I called yesterday to get a status update on my cash rewards app, as it still said "review in progress" on the message site. When the rep checked some how I put my annual income as my monthly income (don't I wish lol) so the system had it flagged. Once she corrected it, she advised about 24hrs for a decision. Well I just got a secure message back, and they approved me for $16k!!!! I am so stoked! This SL is larger than any card I've ever had, even before the bk. I couldn't have even dreamed better results at only 8 mo from d/c, and this card will give me a 50% until drop and put me under 10 overall. Thank you all for your help in rebuilding from bk and through this app process. I am DEFINITELY Off to the garden.
Message 133 of 527
armymom
Regular Contributor

That is awesome! Congrats!!  

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 134 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Congratulations amberlina202! What's your APR?

Guatthebeach
Message 135 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

They gave me 5k at 15.4% 2 months post CH13 discharge.

From what I read in the NFCU CLI thread, it should grow quickly after 3 months. And if done right, it may not need HP to grow.
Message 136 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

They gave me 12.9%
Message 137 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They gave me 12.9%

That is fantastic!!!!!

I plan on treating Navy Federal and PenFed with a lot of love.

Guyatthebeach

Message 138 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
They gave me 12.9%

That is fantastic!!!!!

I plan on treating Navy Federal and PenFed with a lot of love.

Guyatthebeach

IKR! I've never had a CC with an APR that low. Navy is my new best friend lol

Message 139 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I got 12.99 with Navy Federal and 10.24 with PENFED and now they are some of te lowest APR's I have. 

I am treading lightly with NFCU given the amount of people having verification issues since joining  NFCU.

I hope to have a long relationship with them.

Guyatthebeach

Message 140 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.