Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Takasniper
Valued Member

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

Hi forum mates I need some guidance from you all. Just received my letter and member ID card in the mail. There is no mentioning of San Diego Chapter. I did request for the San Diego chapter when I signed up. I even have the email when I joined showing the request to be put in the San Diego Chapter. What should I do now? Is the letter and email enough documentation or do I need to call the navy league and get another letter? Did you all receive a separate letter from the San Deigo chapter? Confused on what I should do.
Message 171 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

The San Diego chapter will not be on your card. You will only see it on your welcome email and on your member profile on the NLUS website. As long as it says San Diego on the email or your profile, you should be fine.

Guyatthebeach
Message 172 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 part question.  1. Is there a difference between the wordpress application and the PDF application for the navy league?  2.  Is it better to apply for NFCU online or print out an application and take it to my local branch?  3. I am on a fixed income (SSDI) and haven't worked in 3 years will that hurt me getting the nRewards card from NFCU or in that matter membership?

Message 173 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3 part question.  1. Is there a difference between the wordpress application and the PDF application for the navy league?  2.  Is it better to apply for NFCU online or print out an application and take it to my local branch?  3. I am on a fixed income (SSDI) and haven't worked in 3 years will that hurt me getting the nRewards card from NFCU or in that matter membership?

Mewing103380:

1. No there is no difference. Just make sure you you indicate you want to join the San Diego chapter.

2.  I DON'T RECOMMEND JOINING ONLINE!!! There are too many people getting their accounts frozen and then closed because of verification issues. Being on a fixed income, I don't want to see that happen to you. There folks that have been waiting almost 2 months to get their accounts unfrozen. Play it safe and apply via mail, fax, or in branch. I applied in a branch and got everything approved that day,

3. Being on a fixed income will not affect you getting credit. The factors that will affect you are your ability to pay and your debt to income ratio. My mom is on a fixed income and has not worked n over 35 years. She got approved for 15,000 Visa at her bank, but only $1000 Visa at the CU.

I always reccomend going to a branch whenever possible.

Guyatthebeach 

Message 174 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding, I have to go through the chapter 7 process first before I do anything.  Two questions, will you get something from the navy league after you mail in the application like a welcome letter or something?  Second, on the NFCU page there is a PDF application, should I fill that out and give it to the local branch?

Message 175 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for responding, I have to go through the chapter 7 process first before I do anything.  Two questions, will you get something from the navy league after you mail in the application like a welcome letter or something?  Second, on the NFCU page there is a PDF application, should I fill that out and give it to the local branch?

Turning in the PDF application at a branch, along with your proof of NLUS membership and whatever else they ask for (I'd recommend bringing in proof of address, and proof of income if applying for any credit products) has been shown as the most reliable and quick method of applying under this method

Good Luck!

Message 176 of 527
armymom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you will receive a welcome pack from NL after you join.  I received mine about a month after joining.  If you apply online you will will receive a welcome email showing your membership to NL San Diego.  I strongly suggest keeping this with your NFCU welcome pack after you join if for any reason you are asked provide proof of affiliation. And I would apply in your local branch if possible.  Good luck!!

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 177 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

FYI.... I just got an email from someone joining NFCU online via the NLUS association. He got approved, then apped and got approved for a Visa, CLOC, and tried to add his gf to the account. NFCU froze his accounts and now he has to go through BSA department. The guy sent me an email upset over it. I responded back, being empathic, and told him to send the required documents in if he wanted to save his membership. I haven't heard anything back. I have yet to hear of anyone getting their accounts unfrozen and their credit lines restored. My advice is don't rock the boat.......

Here are a few points I want to make:

1. Don't join online. Just because there is an option to select via USA Federal merger and there's a field to enter an association, you are creating an opportunity to get your accounts frozen. 

2. After joining, if you are going to apply for multiple products, that's fine to do, just don't create red flag scenarios. By this, I mean adding authorized users to cards, people to your accounts, making multiple recon calls to boost your credit lines. All you are doing is creating an opportunity to get your accounts closed.

3. I have also noticed form the threads, NFCU is freezing and then closing credit accounts if you recently open new credit lines with other banks or credit unions,

4. NFCU is a credit union with the power to let you in or kick you out anytime for any reason. The CU doesn't owe you anything other than the money you put into the your accounts. Just be mindful for that. I don't work for them, I have no interest in other identifying a trend I have noticed.

Guyatthebeach

Message 178 of 527
juniornj23
Established Contributor

How do i get the application paper to fax it
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 179 of 527
armymom
Regular Contributor

@juniornj23 wrote:
How do i get the application paper to fax it

On the bottom of  NFCU's main page under more services, then forms.  On the forms and membership page it will be under membership.  Good luck!

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 180 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.