Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

SteelerNYC wrote:

Thank you for your response. We have processed your application and have opened your requested services. You should receive your welcome packet within 7-10 business days. If you require further assistance, please contact us at 1-888-842-NFCU. Thank you

Sincerely,

Navy Federal Credit Union
Membership Department
Phone: 1-888-842-6328
Fax: 1-703-206-4600

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Congratulations on getting in!

Regular Contributor

Ok guys, so I got into NFCU a little while back, and opened a share secured loan with them.  I've been wanting to apply for a CC, but have been waiting to hopefully improve my odds.  Well I knew my Capital One statement would cut on the 13th and report a couple days later.  It has never reported more than a $30 balance, and that was only due to a pending charge they wouldn't let me make a payment on.

Anyways, I paid the card off last week but left $1 thinking it would report the small balance.  Well it turns out, they decided to credit my account $1 instead, and I got a notification that my Experian dropped 18 points this morning.  

I know the points will eventually come back, but never been more mad that someone gave me a dollar haha

Well, knowing TU usually takes at least an extra day to update, I pulled the trigger and apped for cash rewards a few minutes ago, got this message....

"Your application has been accepted and is currently being reviewed.
The processing time for a credit card application is 24 hours unless additional information is needed."

Anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

Should I try to recon right now or wait it out?

Is there a best number to call for recon?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated!

BK 7 Starting Scores (12/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (3/2017): EQ-637. TU-640. EX-654.
Goal for 2017: 650's.
Regular Contributor

@enjoimorenow
I applied for my card about 3 weeks ago and got the same message. Early the next morning I received my Congratulations message with my new credit limit. Not sure how our scores compare but based on what you wrote, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you can find the recon number in the Backdoor Numbers stickie, should you need it.

In the garden until spring 2018. Final date to be determined by closing on my new house!
Established Contributor

enjoimorenow wrote:

Ok guys, so I got into NFCU a little while back, and opened a share secured loan with them.  I've been wanting to apply for a CC, but have been waiting to hopefully improve my odds.  Well I knew my Capital One statement would cut on the 13th and report a couple days later.  It has never reported more than a $30 balance, and that was only due to a pending charge they wouldn't let me make a payment on.

Anyways, I paid the card off last week but left $1 thinking it would report the small balance.  Well it turns out, they decided to credit my account $1 instead, and I got a notification that my Experian dropped 18 points this morning.  

Generally if you want a balance to report, make it at least $5-10.  Otherwise you run the risk of what you've just experienced! Smiley Very Happy

I know the points will eventually come back, but never been more mad that someone gave me a dollar haha

Well, knowing TU usually takes at least an extra day to update, I pulled the trigger and apped for cash rewards a few minutes ago, got this message....

"Your application has been accepted and is currently being reviewed.
The processing time for a credit card application is 24 hours unless additional information is needed."

Anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

It's neither good or bad - that's the standard application response

Should I try to recon right now or wait it out?

Wait it out

Is there a best number to call for recon?

You can recon Navy via Secure Message if necessary, but if you prefer phone then the general phone number will do - they don't have a backdoor number

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your app!

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 04/20/2017: EX 658 / TU 661 / EQ 678 - Follow my Journey Here
Regular Contributor

@TygerHawk

Thank you for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Do you think I should expect an answer tomorrow morning?  It said within 1 day but not sure if they would update it on a saturday or if it will be monday.  I guess it's not a big deal, if I get denied i will try to recon, and if they say no i'm going to open the secured card.  

MikkiD wrote:
@enjoimorenow
I applied for my card about 3 weeks ago and got the same message. Early the next morning I received my Congratulations message with my new credit limit. Not sure how our scores compare but based on what you wrote, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you can find the recon number in the Backdoor Numbers stickie, should you need it.

Cool, thanks for the info.  My TU is at 640, only 2 inq's (CapOne and NFCU to open the account).  Obviously have a recent BK though, so not sure how good of odds I truly have.  Was hoping my scores would have gone up today, but due to my own screw up of leaving too small a balance, I got hit with a score drop.  Oops haha lesson learned I guess.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Look for it on Monday

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 04/20/2017: EX 658 / TU 661 / EQ 678 - Follow my Journey Here
Regular Contributor

I think waiting for my updated utilization to report before I apply for credit with NFCU is probably the most patience I've ever exercised. 6 more days!

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015: EQ 588/TU 552/EX 570
March 2017: EQ 681/TU 659/EX 674

CreditOne $2200/Merrick $1700/Discover IT $3800/Target $1300/NFCU CLOC $2000/NFCU Cash Rewards $1000/PenFed Power Cash Rewards $2000/Total Utilization 5%
Regular Contributor

TygerHawke wrote:

Look for it on Monday

If I haven't heard anything yet on it, should I try messaging them or keep waiting it out?

Established Contributor

enjoimorenow wrote:

TygerHawke wrote:

Look for it on Monday

If I haven't heard anything yet on it, should I try messaging them or keep waiting it out?

They're running a bit busy with the current new business promo on cashRewards...hang in there, they'll get to it

Established Member

I applied NFCU as a civilian on 03/15, and just got my welcome member letter last night!! So excited, I did exactly what was said here and it worked. I'm hoping after some time, I can build a good relationship post BK with them. Looking to buy a new car in June. The letter said to go into a branch and make a deposit or mail my deposit. After I do that is that when I should open a checking with them? When should I try for a CC or other line of starting credit? TIA.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.