Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your response. We have processed your application and have opened your requested services. You should receive your welcome packet within 7-10 business days. If you require further assistance, please contact us at 1-888-842-NFCU. Thank you

Sincerely,

Navy Federal Credit Union
Membership Department
Phone: 1-888-842-6328
Fax: 1-703-206-4600

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Congratulations on getting in!

Message 461 of 527
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Ok guys, so I got into NFCU a little while back, and opened a share secured loan with them.  I've been wanting to apply for a CC, but have been waiting to hopefully improve my odds.  Well I knew my Capital One statement would cut on the 13th and report a couple days later.  It has never reported more than a $30 balance, and that was only due to a pending charge they wouldn't let me make a payment on.

Anyways, I paid the card off last week but left $1 thinking it would report the small balance.  Well it turns out, they decided to credit my account $1 instead, and I got a notification that my Experian dropped 18 points this morning.  

I know the points will eventually come back, but never been more mad that someone gave me a dollar haha

Well, knowing TU usually takes at least an extra day to update, I pulled the trigger and apped for cash rewards a few minutes ago, got this message....

"Your application has been accepted and is currently being reviewed.
The processing time for a credit card application is 24 hours unless additional information is needed."

Anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

Should I try to recon right now or wait it out?

Is there a best number to call for recon?

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated!

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 462 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow
I applied for my card about 3 weeks ago and got the same message. Early the next morning I received my Congratulations message with my new credit limit. Not sure how our scores compare but based on what you wrote, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you can find the recon number in the Backdoor Numbers stickie, should you need it.
Message 463 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Ok guys, so I got into NFCU a little while back, and opened a share secured loan with them.  I've been wanting to apply for a CC, but have been waiting to hopefully improve my odds.  Well I knew my Capital One statement would cut on the 13th and report a couple days later.  It has never reported more than a $30 balance, and that was only due to a pending charge they wouldn't let me make a payment on.

Anyways, I paid the card off last week but left $1 thinking it would report the small balance.  Well it turns out, they decided to credit my account $1 instead, and I got a notification that my Experian dropped 18 points this morning.  

Generally if you want a balance to report, make it at least $5-10.  Otherwise you run the risk of what you've just experienced! Smiley Very Happy

I know the points will eventually come back, but never been more mad that someone gave me a dollar haha

Well, knowing TU usually takes at least an extra day to update, I pulled the trigger and apped for cash rewards a few minutes ago, got this message....

"Your application has been accepted and is currently being reviewed.
The processing time for a credit card application is 24 hours unless additional information is needed."

Anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

It's neither good or bad - that's the standard application response

Should I try to recon right now or wait it out?

Wait it out

Is there a best number to call for recon?

You can recon Navy via Secure Message if necessary, but if you prefer phone then the general phone number will do - they don't have a backdoor number

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your app!

Message 464 of 527
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

@TygerHawk

Thank you for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Do you think I should expect an answer tomorrow morning?  It said within 1 day but not sure if they would update it on a saturday or if it will be monday.  I guess it's not a big deal, if I get denied i will try to recon, and if they say no i'm going to open the secured card.  

@Anonymous wrote:
@enjoimorenow
I applied for my card about 3 weeks ago and got the same message. Early the next morning I received my Congratulations message with my new credit limit. Not sure how our scores compare but based on what you wrote, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you can find the recon number in the Backdoor Numbers stickie, should you need it.

Cool, thanks for the info.  My TU is at 640, only 2 inq's (CapOne and NFCU to open the account).  Obviously have a recent BK though, so not sure how good of odds I truly have.  Was hoping my scores would have gone up today, but due to my own screw up of leaving too small a balance, I got hit with a score drop.  Oops haha lesson learned I guess.

Message 465 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look for it on Monday

Message 466 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think waiting for my updated utilization to report before I apply for credit with NFCU is probably the most patience I've ever exercised. 6 more days!

Message 467 of 527
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Look for it on Monday

If I haven't heard anything yet on it, should I try messaging them or keep waiting it out?

Message 468 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Look for it on Monday

If I haven't heard anything yet on it, should I try messaging them or keep waiting it out?

They're running a bit busy with the current new business promo on cashRewards...hang in there, they'll get to it

Message 469 of 527
mtnblu116
Established Member

I applied NFCU as a civilian on 03/15, and just got my welcome member letter last night!! So excited, I did exactly what was said here and it worked. I'm hoping after some time, I can build a good relationship post BK with them. Looking to buy a new car in June. The letter said to go into a branch and make a deposit or mail my deposit. After I do that is that when I should open a checking with them? When should I try for a CC or other line of starting credit? TIA.

Message 470 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.