Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

@GatorsFan84 wrote:

Received a call from Navy Fed this morning from a very nice lady wanting to help finish setting up my account.  I didn't know there was anything left to do but she helped me put a code and passcode on my account.  After finishing with setup she went into sales mode on the cash rewards card.  I immediately said I know I don't have the scores to get approved right now but that I wanted to try in 3-6 months.  She went into hard sell mode.  Was saying things like "Why don't you just give it a try?" and then she asked me my scores.  I told her 590s and she said I should try and that you never know and at least I know where I stand with them.  She was a good salesperson as I almost pulled the trigger.  She was trying to get me to app for the platinum card, not the cash rewards.  I asked if I would have a better chance with that card and she wouldn't respond just saying it had a lower APR.  Then at the last minute I said no, I need to wait.  Just throwing this out here in case anyone else gets the same phone call. 

Nice sales pitch aside, you made the right move - with that score I would dump $500 into savings and go the secured route.  It takes a little longer, sure, but you'll end up in the same place once your scores improve.

Message 501 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...I don't know. I was approved just a couple weeks ago for a Cash Rewards card ($1000) and my TU at the the time was 601. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules when it comes to whom the let in.
Message 502 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@GatorsFan84 wrote:

Received a call from Navy Fed this morning from a very nice lady wanting to help finish setting up my account.  I didn't know there was anything left to do but she helped me put a code and passcode on my account.  After finishing with setup she went into sales mode on the cash rewards card.  I immediately said I know I don't have the scores to get approved right now but that I wanted to try in 3-6 months.  She went into hard sell mode.  Was saying things like "Why don't you just give it a try?" and then she asked me my scores.  I told her 590s and she said I should try and that you never know and at least I know where I stand with them.  She was a good salesperson as I almost pulled the trigger.  She was trying to get me to app for the platinum card, not the cash rewards.  I asked if I would have a better chance with that card and she wouldn't respond just saying it had a lower APR.  Then at the last minute I said no, I need to wait.  Just throwing this out here in case anyone else gets the same phone call. 

I would save up 500 and get a secured card because it will graduate.,

i would definitely work on getting those FICO scores up.

Message 503 of 527
astronemma
Valued Member

So I *just* found this thread. I applied for membership online yesterday (though through a family member as my brother is a member). Did I totally mess up by doing that? Is my account going to get frozen/closed after they open it? 

BK7 discharged: 10/25/15 | Current scores: 755 EQ 678 TU 673 EX
NFCU Flagship VisaPenFed Promise VisaDCU Platinum VisaDiscover IT Cash Back CardUSAA Cash Rewards AmexBarclays Apple Rewards VisaNFCU Cloc
Message 504 of 527
astronemma
Valued Member

Nevermind! I'm in San Diego, so I just went into a branch and the wonderful CSR was able to process my application/verification docs and get my new account all set up. Hooray!!

BK7 discharged: 10/25/15 | Current scores: 755 EQ 678 TU 673 EX
NFCU Flagship VisaPenFed Promise VisaDCU Platinum VisaDiscover IT Cash Back CardUSAA Cash Rewards AmexBarclays Apple Rewards VisaNFCU Cloc
Message 505 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@astronemma wrote:

So I *just* found this thread. I applied for membership online yesterday (though through a family member as my brother is a member). Did I totally mess up by doing that? Is my account going to get frozen/closed after they open it? 

I think you will be fine since you indicated your brother is a member. Just be prepared to submit the paperwork showing you and your brother are siblings.  

Have a litttle faith!

Message 506 of 527
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

OK, took the plunge this morning and joined the San Diego Navy League online. Will wait for the mailed membership kit and then mail app in w/support docs to join NFCU.

I've been resiting as it's quite a process just to join a CU, and I'm 6+ years post BK7 discharge and have credit pretty well rebuilt. But I have a $4k 0% Casshforward balance that's going to become 20% APR in September and I'm not going to be able to pay it off myself by then. I'm thinking a NFCU PLOC would be the better way to pay if off than a Prosper or Lending Club loan. I had a Prosper loan I paid off in 2015, and when I had it I always got my CS dinged with a message "too many consumer finance loans", even with just the one.

Thanks for the detail info, beach guy.

Message 507 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

OK, took the plunge this morning and joined the San Diego Navy League online. Will wait for the mailed membership kit and then mail app in w/support docs to join NFCU.

I've been resiting as it's quite a process just to join a CU, and I'm 6+ years post BK7 discharge and have credit pretty well rebuilt. But I have a $4k 0% Casshforward balance that's going to become 20% APR in September and I'm not going to be able to pay it off myself by then. I'm thinking a NFCU PLOC would be the better way to pay if off than a Prosper or Lending Club loan. I had a Prosper loan I paid off in 2015, and when I had it I always got my CS dinged with a message "too many consumer finance loans", even with just the one.

Thanks for the detail info, beach guy.

Dave - 

You don't have to wait for the membership kit. You can submit the receipt that you recieved in your email after you made your donation, showing your prefered council as San Diego. 

Message 508 of 527
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dave - 

You don't have to wait for the membership kit. You can submit the receipt that you recieved in your email after you made your donation, showing your prefered council as San Diego. 

Ah, thanks, that will speed things up a couple weeks. Yes, the email does show I selected the San Diego council. I lived in San Diego years ago and still have friends there, so if they ask that's my reasoning.

Message 509 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Dave - 

Ah, thanks, that will speed things up a couple weeks. Yes, the email does show I selected the San Diego council. I lived in San Diego years ago and still have friends there, so if they ask that's my reasoning.

You also don't have to wait on snail mail - sending everything to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org will get it there a lot faster Smiley Happy

Message 510 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.