Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

UPDATED MAY 12, 2017: NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING MEMBERSHIPS THROUGH THE NAVY LEAGUE-SAN DIEGO. I SPOKE WITH SOMEONE IN VA TO CONFIRM AND NFCU HAS REMOVED THE PROVISION FROM THEIR FIELD OF ELIGIBITY. 

ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END. I'M SURE A MODERATOR WILL LOCK THIS THREAD SOON. GUYATTHEBEACH.

UPDATED JULY 30, 2016: DON'T APPLY ONLINE OR OVER THE PHONE FOR YOUR NFCU MEMBERSHIP. EITHER FAX IT, MAIL IT, OR

LET THE BRANCH FAX IT FOR YOU. PEOPLE ARE APPLYING ONLINE, GETTING ACCOUNTS OPENED ONLY TO HAVE THEM FROZEN (AND THEN CLOSED) DUE TO VERIFICATION ISSUES.

When I was in the branch on Saturday, the branch manager came over to say hi and was asking how I like Navy Federal so far. I told Her I'm a little hestitant about moving my checking over accounts getting frozen. She said the CU is only freezing accounts when their is risk in the consumer's credit or customer give fraudulent information.

She also said branches are not processing new memberships through associations, like the Navy League, in branches anymore. You have to send it in. Now once membership is approved, the branch can help you with anything.

The takeaway points are don't lie on your application, don't do anything risky like adding people to your account, and apply by mailing or faxing your application with everything listed below. This is a golden opportunity, so don't screw it up.

Hi everyone. Someone shared this with me and I wanted to share it here.  It definitely helped me and I know it will help someone out there. This was found on another forum and posted to the personal finance board of myfico.com. On a personal note, I had my chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged in 2012 and I've been looking for a way to join NFCU for ages since I have no military background. This is completely 100 percent legal.

To join NavyFederal as a civilian, you have to be an active member of the San Diego chapter of  the Navy League. It is very important that you are in the San Diego chapter. This is an excellent organization. If I knew about this organization, I would have joined the Navy League reagrdless of the NFCU memebrship connection. Memberships start at $25.00. To join the Navy League, go to their website, navyleague.org, hit the green join button, fill out the membership form, and make sure to type in the San Diego chapter as your preferred council. You must be a member of the SD chapter or you won't be able to join NFCU. After you fill out the membership form and click submit, you will get an email welcoming to the Navy League. You will get a welcome kit including a membership card and Navy League pin in a few weeks.

Once you get the welcome email from the Navy League, you can use this to join NFCU.  You can print the NFCU membership application and fill it out. Fill out the application. Mark the option for association and write Navy League-San Diego chapter. Send it in with the email and the other support documents. Wait for the response from NCFU. Do your membership application inside a branch or fax it in. DON'T do it online, because it may raise a verification flag. NavyFederal has a history of opening new accounts and then freezing (and closing them) for verification. AGAIN DON'T SUBMIT YOUR NFCU APPLICATION ONLINE!!!!!

I chose to drive to my closest NFCU branch and join in person.  Since it is over an hour away, I took everything with me. I took a copy of the Navy League welcome letter, 2 forms of ID's, my social security card, 2 different utility bills, and cash to fund the accounts. After waiting for a while, I told the branch manager I wanted to join Navy Federal through the association with the Navy League, San Deiego chapter. I gave the letter to the branch manger and showed her where I was a member of the San Diego chapter. She had to call their help desk to get the override code. After answering some verification questions, I was in. I opened a totally free checking account, a savings account, a CLOC account, and a cash rewards Visa with a credit line of $14,200.00. I'll definitely use them for a mortgage when I get ready to buy a new house in the near future.

This method of joining Navy Federal is completely legit. I called NFCU about this 2 twice and it's completely legitimate. Read the thread on the personal finance board and call Navy to see for yourself.

To be honest, I was happy with my rebuilding before joining Navy Federal. Now I'm super excited to be member of Navy Federal. I'm also glad to be a member of the Navy League. When my membership renews, I will upgrade it.

I want to thank YoureWelcome for posting on how to join NFCU. I also want to thank SoulMaster for posting the how to get to 700 in 24 months thready and Scrupa and others for their support. Now 4 years later after having to declare bankruptcy, I have recovered and bounced back. I have over $150k in open lines of credit and 2 car loans. If I can do it, so can you.

Life's a beach!

Guyatthebeach

Message 1 of 527
526 REPLIES 526
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

Really curious about this approach. I may give it a try after our house closes in a week.
Message 2 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

You should definitely do it. I've only been in NFCU for 2 weeks  and I'm very impressed.

Good luck with your closing!

Guyatthebeach

Message 3 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has any one else given this method a go?   I'm also curious if this is limited to SD area residents. 

Message 4 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

This is open to everyone, you just have to be in the SD chapter. There are 3 different threads on this. You can also call NFCU and check for a yourself.
Message 5 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved this way in late May. Its a real way in. I'm very pleased so far. I'm lucky there is a branch about 10 minutes from my house.
Message 6 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you can do the NFCU part all online correct? 

Message 7 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I read where people applied online and then had to send paperwork in for verification. 

I was having problems with the the website, so I just drove to the branch.

Message 8 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you just brought the (e-mail) paper from the Navy League of SD with you?

Message 9 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I did bring a copy of the welcome email. It shows that you're in the San Diego chapter toward the bottom of the second page. I also brought everything you may need for verification and cash.

Message 10 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.