Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 1,033
Registered: ‎04-14-2016
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way


GatorsFan84 wrote:

Received a call from Navy Fed this morning from a very nice lady wanting to help finish setting up my account.  I didn't know there was anything left to do but she helped me put a code and passcode on my account.  After finishing with setup she went into sales mode on the cash rewards card.  I immediately said I know I don't have the scores to get approved right now but that I wanted to try in 3-6 months.  She went into hard sell mode.  Was saying things like "Why don't you just give it a try?" and then she asked me my scores.  I told her 590s and she said I should try and that you never know and at least I know where I stand with them.  She was a good salesperson as I almost pulled the trigger.  She was trying to get me to app for the platinum card, not the cash rewards.  I asked if I would have a better chance with that card and she wouldn't respond just saying it had a lower APR.  Then at the last minute I said no, I need to wait.  Just throwing this out here in case anyone else gets the same phone call. 


Nice sales pitch aside, you made the right move - with that score I would dump $500 into savings and go the secured route.  It takes a little longer, sure, but you'll end up in the same place once your scores improve.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 247
Registered: ‎02-07-2017
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

Hmmm...I don't know. I was approved just a couple weeks ago for a Cash Rewards card ($1000) and my TU at the the time was 601. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules when it comes to whom the let in.


In the garden until spring 2018. Final date to be determined by closing on my new house!
Established Contributor
Posts: 852
Registered: ‎09-04-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way


GatorsFan84 wrote:

Received a call from Navy Fed this morning from a very nice lady wanting to help finish setting up my account.  I didn't know there was anything left to do but she helped me put a code and passcode on my account.  After finishing with setup she went into sales mode on the cash rewards card.  I immediately said I know I don't have the scores to get approved right now but that I wanted to try in 3-6 months.  She went into hard sell mode.  Was saying things like "Why don't you just give it a try?" and then she asked me my scores.  I told her 590s and she said I should try and that you never know and at least I know where I stand with them.  She was a good salesperson as I almost pulled the trigger.  She was trying to get me to app for the platinum card, not the cash rewards.  I asked if I would have a better chance with that card and she wouldn't respond just saying it had a lower APR.  Then at the last minute I said no, I need to wait.  Just throwing this out here in case anyone else gets the same phone call. 


I would save up 500 and get a secured card because it will graduate.,

 

i would definitely work on getting those FICO scores up.

Valued Member
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎12-05-2007
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

So I *just* found this thread. I applied for membership online yesterday (though through a family member as my brother is a member). Did I totally mess up by doing that? Is my account going to get frozen/closed after they open it? 

BK7 discharged: 10/25/15 | Current scores: 685 EQ 648 TU 651 EX | Gardening: 07/24/17 -- 07/24/18
NFCU cashRewards VisaUSAA Cash Rewards AmexDCU Platinum VisaPenFed Promise VisaBarclays Apple Rewards VisaCapital One QuicksilverOne MasterCardUSAA Secured VisaComenity J.Crew Store CardNFCU Cloc
Valued Member
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎12-05-2007

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

Nevermind! I'm in San Diego, so I just went into a branch and the wonderful CSR was able to process my application/verification docs and get my new account all set up. Hooray!!

BK7 discharged: 10/25/15 | Current scores: 685 EQ 648 TU 651 EX | Gardening: 07/24/17 -- 07/24/18
NFCU cashRewards VisaUSAA Cash Rewards AmexDCU Platinum VisaPenFed Promise VisaBarclays Apple Rewards VisaCapital One QuicksilverOne MasterCardUSAA Secured VisaComenity J.Crew Store CardNFCU Cloc
Established Contributor
Posts: 852
Registered: ‎09-04-2012
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way


astronemma wrote:

So I *just* found this thread. I applied for membership online yesterday (though through a family member as my brother is a member). Did I totally mess up by doing that? Is my account going to get frozen/closed after they open it? 


I think you will be fine since you indicated your brother is a member. Just be prepared to submit the paperwork showing you and your brother are siblings.  

 

Have a litttle faith!

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,855
Registered: ‎09-28-2014
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

[ Edited ]

OK, took the plunge this morning and joined the San Diego Navy League online. Will wait for the mailed membership kit and then mail app in w/support docs to join NFCU.

 

I've been resiting as it's quite a process just to join a CU, and I'm 6+ years post BK7 discharge and have credit pretty well rebuilt. But I have a $4k 0% Casshforward balance that's going to become 20% APR in September and I'm not going to be able to pay it off myself by then. I'm thinking a NFCU PLOC would be the better way to pay if off than a Prosper or Lending Club loan. I had a Prosper loan I paid off in 2015, and when I had it I always got my CS dinged with a message "too many consumer finance loans", even with just the one.

 

Thanks for the detail info, beach guy.


Fico 08: 720/721/719 TU/EX/EQ
Established Member
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-22-2017
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way


DaveInAZ wrote:

OK, took the plunge this morning and joined the San Diego Navy League online. Will wait for the mailed membership kit and then mail app in w/support docs to join NFCU.

 

I've been resiting as it's quite a process just to join a CU, and I'm 6+ years post BK7 discharge and have credit pretty well rebuilt. But I have a $4k 0% Casshforward balance that's going to become 20% APR in September and I'm not going to be able to pay it off myself by then. I'm thinking a NFCU PLOC would be the better way to pay if off than a Prosper or Lending Club loan. I had a Prosper loan I paid off in 2015, and when I had it I always got my CS dinged with a message "too many consumer finance loans", even with just the one.

 

Thanks for the detail info, beach guy.


Dave - 

 

You don't have to wait for the membership kit. You can submit the receipt that you recieved in your email after you made your donation, showing your prefered council as San Diego. 

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,855
Registered: ‎09-28-2014
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

[ Edited ]

NJFresh wrote:

Dave - 

 

You don't have to wait for the membership kit. You can submit the receipt that you recieved in your email after you made your donation, showing your prefered council as San Diego. 


Ah, thanks, that will speed things up a couple weeks. Yes, the email does show I selected the San Diego council. I lived in San Diego years ago and still have friends there, so if they ask that's my reasoning.


Fico 08: 720/721/719 TU/EX/EQ
Established Contributor
Posts: 1,033
Registered: ‎04-14-2016
0 Kudos

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way


DaveInAZ wrote:

NJFresh wrote:

Dave - 

 

You don't have to wait for the membership kit. You can submit the receipt that you recieved in your email after you made your donation, showing your prefered council as San Diego. 


Ah, thanks, that will speed things up a couple weeks. Yes, the email does show I selected the San Diego council. I lived in San Diego years ago and still have friends there, so if they ask that's my reasoning.


You also don't have to wait on snail mail - sending everything to membershipdocs@navyfederal.org will get it there a lot faster Smiley Happy

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.