Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@kberly69 wrote:

I have two questions and forgive me if they've been answered already. 

* Does the account you open have to be of any significant amount? I would really only be interested in having a very small savings account with maybe $20 direct deposited from every check.

*Is it necessary to re-up your membership to the Navy League every year once you're a CU member?

Thanks!

Kberly69,

You can open a savings account with just $5.00 and direct deposits & mobile deposits are super easy while NFCU.

It is not necessary to renew your membership to the NL every year, but I recommend you do for two reasons: 1. NL is an excellent organization and 2. NL-San Diego has created an maintained a solid way for us all to join Navy Federal and PenFed.

Guyatthebeach

Thanks! I may give this a whirl. I'd like one more "real" credit card to enhance my profile and my recent Chapter 7 discharge limits those options. 

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 521 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@kberly69 wrote:

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@kberly69 wrote:

* Does the account you open have to be of any significant amount? I would really only be interested in having a very small savings account with maybe $20 direct deposited from every check.

*Is it necessary to re-up your membership to the Navy League every year once you're a CU member?

Thanks!

Kberly69,

You can open a savings account with just $5.00 and direct deposits & mobile deposits are super easy while NFCU.

It is not necessary to renew your membership to the NL every year, but I recommend you do for two reasons: 1. NL is an excellent organization and 2. NL-San Diego has created an maintained a solid way for us all to join Navy Federal and PenFed.

Guyatthebeach

Thanks! I may give this a whirl. I'd like one more "real" credit card to enhance my profile and my recent Chapter 7 discharge limits those options. 

Kberly69, 

NFCU is no longer accepting applications using Navy League San Diego asa method to join the CU.

It looks like the golden opportunity is over. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 522 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on mobile so I haven't seen or verified yet but the Credit Cards forum here has a thread about the backdoor now being closed. Someone with better resources may want to verify and update this one way or the other.
Message 523 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops! Looks like Guyatthebeach may have already done so.
Message 524 of 527
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Well, dang. Thanks for letting me know. I guess that's out of the realm of possibilities now since I'm too old to join the Navy Smiley Sad

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@kberly69 wrote:

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@kberly69 wrote:

Thanks!

Kberly69,

Guyatthebeach

Kberly69, 

NFCU is no longer accepting applications using Navy League San Diego asa method to join the CU.

It looks like the golden opportunity is over. 

Guyatthebeach

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 525 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may still be eligible if you're an immediate family member of a veteran, a servicemember, in the same household as another member, or  an immediate family member of another member.

Message 526 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the option to join NFCU via NLUS is no longer available, we will now close this thread.  If you have questions about NFCU membership, discussion is usually found in the Personal Finance section of this forum

Message 527 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.