Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

great info..
And I live in San Diego...what luck!
And I was about to marry in !
Message 71 of 527
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Still waiting to hear about my membership sent at week start.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 72 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you fax or email your docs in Vegas4Play?
Message 73 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

We will be filing BK Ch 7 next week. Should we go ahead and join NFCU now or wait until after our discharge? We currently bank with Capital One 360 but am worried that they may close our accounts seeing as we will be burning Cap1 for 17k+/-. This would pose a problem for us because my spouse is currently on chexsystems and I am not. We are having a hard time finding a bank that will allow us to have joint acounts. Does NFCU search chexsystems to determine eligibility for account membership?

Message 74 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:
Am still waiting anxiously .. I emaile my docs past midnight last night and called today and still nothing.. The rep said they have received thousands of applications recently and is sort of behind... Fingers crossed

Hmm.. Wonder why they are getting so many new apps Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 75 of 527
Bcunniff9
Regular Contributor

When I called them on Tuesday, I was told my email application hasn't even been opened. And I sent it last Friday. But the rep told me they had a membership drive and they got slammed with apps.
BK7 Filed | 3/25/2016 | EQ: 530 | EX: 526 | TU: 505
BK7 Discharged | 7/11/2016 | EQ: 535 | EX: 574 | TU: 506
Current FICO 8’s 10/28/2017 | EQ: 680 | EX: 680 | TU: 665
Message 76 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

****UPDATE*****

I just wanted to share a quick update with my experience joining NFCU.  I Called their Customer Service Number 1-888-842-6328 Then selected Options *,1,1 (non-member seeking info on how to join).....   I was connect with a very friendly lady. I explained to her that I am non-military and would like to join using my association with Navy League San Diego Chapter.... She paused for a moment to research this option then came back and said it is definitely possible to do this! She asked if a branch was close by.  Seeing as I'm 45mins from the Closest Branch I said no.... The Customer service rep said she would be happy to assist me opening the account over the phone. I fully opened my account and never had to send in any paper work. She didnt even verify that I actually was a member of Navy League San Diego Chapter. Im very happy to be a member! 

Side Note: NFCU required a hard inquiry to join. My Fico is currenlty 515 as im approx 1 week before filing Ch 7 bk.

Message 77 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@kobe2012 wrote:
Am still waiting anxiously .. I emaile my docs past midnight last night and called today and still nothing.. The rep said they have received thousands of applications recently and is sort of behind... Fingers crossed

Hmm.. Wonder why they are getting so many new apps Smiley Very Happy

Scupra,
Navy Federal was having a membership drive. My mom and my best friend (who is th the Air Force) this past weekend. I haven't gotten my dividends yet, it will be nice!
I'm sure they are backed up in the membership and verification departments right now! That's a good thing!
Guyatthebeach

Message 78 of 527
Bcunniff9
Regular Contributor

Well unfortunately it appears as if my application has disappeared from NFCUs servers. I sent it via email on 6/24 and got the confirmation email back within a minute or two. I've called twice and 20 minutes later the CSR says they searched several times and it's nowhere to be found. The rep recommended I resubmit the email again 😡. Kinda seems like a waste of a week. But she also told me that people who want to apply using the NLSD affiliation need to apply manually and I cannot apply over the phone. Even though Southside963 state he/she did it over the phone. So I guess it's YMMV. I'll call them again and confirm the email was received.

*UPDATE*

I sent the application again, called to confirm they did have it and the representitive opened the account for me while I waited on the phone with him. Couldnt be happier right now! Thanks for everyones advice, and good luck!!!

BK7 Filed | 3/25/2016 | EQ: 530 | EX: 526 | TU: 505
BK7 Discharged | 7/11/2016 | EQ: 535 | EX: 574 | TU: 506
Current FICO 8’s 10/28/2017 | EQ: 680 | EX: 680 | TU: 665
Message 79 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations Bcunniff9!

First time I called. I was told opening the account over the phone was not possible, when I hung up and called again the second agent didn't have a problem doing it. So I guess it just depends on the flavor of the day and the agent you get. The agent that opened the account was very nice and was happy to do it. Her name was Vanessa if that helps
Message 80 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.