cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will filing BK affect getting financial aid for my daughter ?? Please help !!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will filing BK affect getting financial aid for my daughter ?? Please help !!

I am in the process of filing BK, do to the decline of my business and  the fact that I have had to use credit cards to survive, I have seen my credit go from over 800 to mid 600s.  My daughter is entering her sophomore year in college, and thankfully she has been accepted into the honors program so I am only responsible for half tuition about  $24,000 ( CRAZY ) Last year we did not receive any financial aid, and I am wondering if since I am filing BK that will help or hinder our chances this year, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rena347
New Contributor

Re: How will filing BK affect getting financial aid for my daughter ?? Please help !!

I don't knowhow your bankruptcy could affect your daughter's ability to get financial aid or student loans. Although, a bankruptcy will affect your ability to obtain a parent plus student loan or a private student loan. Unless the requirements have changed in the last few years, a parent plus loan will be denied if the parent borrowing has filed bankruptcy recently unless there are some type of extenuating circumstances.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How will filing BK affect getting financial aid for my daughter ?? Please help !!

Thank you rena347,  my thought was that since we were in BK they might be more willing to give her financial aid.

Message 3 of 7
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I was able to get financial aid for myself a semeter after I filed BK. I know that it is not the same situation here but wanted to share.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 4 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

By law, your credit report cannot be used to determine your qualifications for Stafford, Perkins and PLUS* loans.

See here: http://www.finaid.org/loans/creditscores.phtml

-SM

ETA: *PLUS loans require no derogs in the last 60 days or something like that.  Stick w/ Perkins or Stafford.  She also has the option of qualifying as an independent.

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated

Message 6 of 7
rena347
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you rena347,  my thought was that since we were in BK they might be more willing to give her financial aid.

playgolf, it is entirely possible that she might be more eligible for aid. The only thing I know for sure is that my brother was denied a parent plus loan because he had filed bankruptcy within the last 5 years. The school did help his daughter find either more loan options or more aid not sure which but she is now in her third year of college.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.