Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband filed bankruptcy

tag
luckymommy
New Contributor

Husband filed bankruptcy

My husband filed for bankruptcy in February of 2015. We had a car in both of our names that was included in the bankruptcy. He came to an agreement with who the car was financed with to pay off the loan in full at a lower balance than was owed. We paid the car payment on time each month during the bankruptcy and after it was discharged was when the car was paid off. The problem now is on MY credit reports for that account it says date of first delinquency is the date he filed for bankruptcy. The car payment was NEVER late. It is also considered a derogatory account stating charge off - legally paid off for less than the balance owed. Of course on my husband's reports none of this negative commentary is listed. It says current and paid off. My question is, is there any way to fix this on my credit reports? I know the car was in my name as the co-signor but it just sucks that I am being punished credit wise for his financial decisions. Thanks in advance for any guidance/advice! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
luckymommy
New Contributor

Re: Husband filed bankruptcy

no one has any helpful advice at all??? Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 4
silkysean
Regular Contributor

@luckymommy wrote:

My husband filed for bankruptcy in February of 2015. We had a car in both of our names that was included in the bankruptcy. He came to an agreement with who the car was financed with to pay off the loan in full at a lower balance than was owed. We paid the car payment on time each month during the bankruptcy and after it was discharged was when the car was paid off. The problem now is on MY credit reports for that account it says date of first delinquency is the date he filed for bankruptcy. The car payment was NEVER late. It is also considered a derogatory account stating charge off - legally paid off for less than the balance owed. Of course on my husband's reports none of this negative commentary is listed. It says current and paid off. My question is, is there any way to fix this on my credit reports? I know the car was in my name as the co-signor but it just sucks that I am being punished credit wise for his financial decisions. Thanks in advance for any guidance/advice! Smiley Happy

Sorry this happened but Unfortunately you co-signed and this is the problem.Its not reporting negative because he filed for Bk and soon all his accounts will be wiped clean while you suffer.He made a bad decision with you involved which is why you should never co-sign period.If his credit was not so good before I would have not co-signed knowing he had bad credit or less than good credit.You can't dispute accurate information.It was a agreement for less than original contract thus it will always be a paid/charge off settled for less.As long as file lists payed as agreed every month on time as you stated then there's no recourse for a dispute.Moving foward in 7 years it will be deleted and you will be clean again and never ever co-sign again just pan money or get in your name cause it protects you.

Message 3 of 4
luckymommy
New Contributor

thank you for responding. Smiley Happy when I co-signed for the loan his credit wasn't in bad standing. But now I know not to co-sign for anything!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.