cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am rebuilding well during chapter 13 BK!!

tag
christopherb222
Established Member

I am rebuilding well during chapter 13 BK!!

I am 19 months into a chapter 13 BK. I know I'm not "supposed to" do the following but my credit rating is very important to me. So I have decided to rebuild during my chapter 13.

A few months ago I got 3 secured cards. $500 Wells Fargo. $500 U.S. Bank. $300 Bank of America. Always keep less than 9%. All 3 of my scores on here took 27-40 point jumps. I am now 618,585,609.  

Well iin the last week I have been approved for the following VIA the cart checkout trick. 

$500 Victoria secret

$1000 HSN

$1500  Overstock.com

I now have 6 credit trade lines reporting   :-).  With 31 more months of BK left on my plan. 

This is makes me happy. I used to have pristine credit with 17 cards and over 200k in credit available. Now having to start over is embarrassing but I have to admit I have not been declined at all on all 6 apps.  I am done for 6 more months. I feel lucky as most everything I read says no approval during chapter 13. I'm surprised by the limits too!!

If the trustee sees it. Oh well. I'll dismiss and pay off with my annual bonus!! I'm going to have great credit again much sooner than 7-10 years 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I am rebuilding well during chapter 13 BK!!

I hope that works out for you...I thought you could ask for permission to take on new debts, wouldn't that had been better than risking it?

Message 2 of 12
christopherb222
Established Member

Well I'm sure it's a safer play. I feel like since I have perfect payment history to the BK trustee I think I'm not at huge risk of audit. Plus my income has jumped almost $55k since filing so I'm probably screwed anyways once my taxes get to him if they ever do. 

Maybe be ill get lucky and never get audited. :-). Not sure how that works. 

Message 3 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@christopherb222 wrote:

I am 19 months into a chapter 13 BK. I know I'm not "supposed to" do the following but my credit rating is very important to me. So I have decided to rebuild during my chapter 13.

A few months ago I got 3 secured cards. $500 Wells Fargo. $500 U.S. Bank. $300 Bank of America. Always keep less than 9%. All 3 of my scores on here took 27-40 point jumps. I am now 618,585,609.  

Well iin the last week I have been approved for the following VIA the cart checkout trick. 

$500 Victoria secret

$1000 HSN

$1500  Overstock.com

I now have 6 credit trade lines reporting   :-).  With 31 more months of BK left on my plan. 

This is makes me happy. I used to have pristine credit with 17 cards and over 200k in credit available. Now having to start over is embarrassing but I have to admit I have not been declined at all on all 6 apps.  I am done for 6 more months. I feel lucky as most everything I read says no approval during chapter 13. I'm surprised by the limits too!!

If the trustee sees it. Oh well. I'll dismiss and pay off with my annual bonus!! I'm going to have great credit again much sooner than 7-10 years 

oh boy...you just wait till TRC sees this thread...(shaking head)

I was under the impression you needed approval from the trustee for any type of credit, but TRC is well versed in the BK13, so Ill let him chime in here 

Message 4 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@christopherb222 wrote:

$500 Victoria secret

$1000 HSN

$1500  Overstock.com

Not to rain on your parade or anything but you won't have great credit until the bankruptcy public record and the IIB accounts associated with the filing fall off your credit report.

I'm 6+ years after filing and am counting down the months till mine fall off and I'm in the 670-690 range and am stuck here until the items fall off.  Just the way it is.  So if you are expecting 750+ scores while you still have a bankruptcy on your report... it's not going to happen.

I am surprised that you were approved for CC's with a open bankruptcy on your report.  A bit risky IMHO given the trustee can file a motion to dismiss if he finds out you are opening new accounts without approval... but you knew the risk and did it anyway so good luck.  

So you are 618 585 and 609?  Yeah, I was 620's and 630's at discharge in 2013 and after 2 years I have built a solid lineup of major CC's and brought my scores up to the 670-690 range I mentioned earlier.   Again, not to rain on your parade but your scores aren't going to magically skyrocket in a week and while you may have been approved for toy limit store cards I seriously doubt you would get approved for any major CC with the open bankruptcy.

I can tell you for a fact that I went car shopping 2 days after discharge in 2013 and every approval I got was conditional upon me showing my discharge papers due to the fact my credit report hadn't yet updated to discharge.  So while you may have gotten some store card approvals be prepared that future apps can and most likely will want to see proof of discharge.

Not trying to be harsh... just don't want to see you disappointed.  I'm 2 years post discharge... 6+ years post filing... and while I have a solid lineup of cards my scores are still suffering due to the Ch 13 that is lingering for a few more months on my reports.

Best of luck... Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@christopherb222 wrote:

$500 Victoria secret

$1000 HSN

$1500  Overstock.com

Not to rain on your parade or anything but you won't have great credit until the bankruptcy public record and the IIB accounts associated with the filing fall off your credit report.

I'm 6+ years after filing and am counting down the months till mine fall off and I'm in the 670-690 range and am stuck here until the items fall off.  Just the way it is.  So if you are expecting 750+ scores while you still have a bankruptcy on your report... it's not going to happen.

I am surprised that you were approved for CC's with a open bankruptcy on your report.  A bit risky IMHO given the trustee can file a motion to dismiss if he finds out you are opening new accounts without approval... but you knew the risk and did it anyway so good luck.  

So you are 618 585 and 609?  Yeah, I was 620's and 630's at discharge in 2013 and after 2 years I have built a solid lineup of major CC's and brought my scores up to the 670-690 range I mentioned earlier.   Again, not to rain on your parade but your scores aren't going to magically skyrocket in a week and while you may have been approved for toy limit store cards I seriously doubt you would get approved for any major CC with the open bankruptcy.

I can tell you for a fact that I went car shopping 2 days after discharge in 2013 and every approval I got was conditional upon me showing my discharge papers due to the fact my credit report hadn't yet updated to discharge.  So while you may have gotten some store card approvals be prepared that future apps can and most likely will want to see proof of discharge.

Not trying to be harsh... just don't want to see you disappointed.  I'm 2 years post discharge... 6+ years post filing... and while I have a solid lineup of cards my scores are still suffering due to the Ch 13 that is lingering for a few more months on my reports.

Best of luck... Smiley Wink

Well said

Message 6 of 12
christopherb222
Established Member

You are correct. I'm not expecting anything magical , but  40 months of 6 positive trade lines won't hurt me if I make it to discharge. 

I took this risk cause now I'm in a financial position to just pay my BK outright or negotiate with lenders. If I was living off of the extra $30 a month I would not risk anything. 

I figure with my large jump in income I'm going to get "caught " anyways and the trustee will raise my repay to 100%. Which is crap. I can negotiate much much better than full repayment . for example before I filed I got collection agency notices for one time payment of $933 on $5000 debts. So I'm confident I'll be able to pay off all at a cheaper price if caught. 

Once again. What I'm doing is horrible advice for others. I have been obsessed with credit and here since 2008. My actions are reckless. I know better after 1000 hours of credit research ,but I'd love to see where I can be if I make it to the end with 6 or more trade lines reporting positively.  

I cant find a Single article anywhere with someone else coming out of a BK with this scenario. 

Message 7 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@christopherb222 wrote:

Forgot to add... dismissing the bankruptcy and paying it off won't help.

The public record stays for 10 years for dismissals instead of the 7 years for discharges.  There is no magical deletion from your credit report for paying it off early.  Your scores will still be weighted down by the bankruptcy.

I'm at 20% utilization and my peak FICO scores have been 700 EQ ... 675 TU and my current 687 EX.   I bought a car and opened a few CC accounts since then so I've lost a few points and am currently 678 673 687.  

6+ years after filing.

Rebuilding is a marathon... not a 100 yard sprint.  Smiley Wink

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My seven years post Chapter 13 ended in May. The bankruptcy fell off the bureaus in April, much to my surprise. Since then I have been rebuilding at a rapid rate and now am pretty much where I need and want to be. You will see your scores jump as I did when that garbage is off your reports. One of the agencies is still showing a negative associated with the bankruptcy and you can see how it holds the score down.

It disturbs me that anyone would go against the rulings in a Chapter 13. You are putting yourself at risk and posting here is probably not the best plan. That being said I wish you well in your journey. We all have to make it individually and hope for the best. I am bringing many lessons learned with me so nothing like that will ever happen again.

Good luck to you.

In my wallet: Venture 15k; Barclay Ring 12.5k; Discover 10k; PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa 10k; PenFed Promise 10k; CareCredit 7.7k; Amazon Store Card 5k. QS 5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Travel Rewards 3.5k; BA Platinum Visa 2k; Barclay Apple Rewards 2k. Total Credit: 86,200. 7/2-FICO: EQ - 788; TU - 779; EX - 690; Utilization: 12%; GOAL: 780 across the board then 800 across the board. Inquiries: EQ: 7 TU: 6; EX 3; Chapter 13 seven years May, 2015. Reset my garden date to 7/7. Gardening until further notice.

Message 9 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@christopherb222 wrote:

You are correct. I'm not expecting anything magical , but  40 months of 6 positive trade lines won't hurt me if I make it to discharge. 

I took this risk cause now I'm in a financial position to just pay my BK outright or negotiate with lenders. If I was living off of the extra $30 a month I would not risk anything. 

I figure with my large jump in income I'm going to get "caught " anyways and the trustee will raise my repay to 100%. Which is crap. I can negotiate much much better than full repayment . for example before I filed I got collection agency notices for one time payment of $933 on $5000 debts. So I'm confident I'll be able to pay off all at a cheaper price if caught. 

Once again. What I'm doing is horrible advice for others. I have been obsessed with credit and here since 2008. My actions are reckless. I know better after 1000 hours of credit research ,but I'd love to see where I can be if I make it to the end with 6 or more trade lines reporting positively.  

I cant find a Single article anywhere with someone else coming out of a BK with this scenario. 

As I said in my previous post...  it's wishful thinking at best.

Dismissing the bankruptcy and paying it off won't help.

The public record stays for 10 years for dismissals instead of the 7 years for discharges. There is no magical deletion from your credit report for paying it off early. Your scores will still be weighted down by the bankruptcy.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.