cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I filed Chap 7 and it was dismissed but I reaffirmed an auto loan have questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed Chap 7 and it was dismissed but I reaffirmed an auto loan have questions

At the advice of my attorney I was told NOT to pay anything to anyone until we went to court, well, I made my intentions to re-affirm my auto loan to my attorney and he again advised me NOT to pay anything until we filed the re-affirmation papers and to hold that money for that reason. I asked at my 341 meeting about not making payments on my car and the judge confirmed this.

So I did what they told me to, I saved my monthly notes and paid for the re-affirmation but that left me with a HUGE problem.

My lender for my car listed lates from the day I started my Chap 7 up until they posted the payment for the re-affirmation so now I have almost a entire year of lates showing, Before I filed I was current on my auto loan and never late.

What can I do about this?

I don't think it is fair that I get punished for something that the courts and my attorney advised me to do

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I filed Chap 7 and it was dismissed but I reaffirmed an auto loan have questions

I was told by my attorney that creditors cannot put lates on your credit the moment you decide to file bk. So example if you had late payments before they bk then they could report that on your credit for up to 7 years anything after is not allowed. Now if you reaffirmed I would think they could start reporting again from that point fwd after this is done. I would call the lender and let them know about this, hopefully they could correct it, if not then dispute the lates for the months you were in bk though the Credit Bureaus, and if it comes back confirmed keep doing it. I once had to dispute 3x .... so keep trying. Good Luck! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I filed Chap 7 and it was dismissed but I reaffirmed an auto loan have questions

I agree with the last person that posted a reply. I've also went through a re-aff and it does take some time for everything to clear itself up (at least for me). Once everything was updated, I no longer had any lates on my car loan and it stayed as "paid as agreed" on my credit report. However, if you're filing BK-you're going to have not so good credit anyways...keep that in mind and with this in mind....PLEASE TRY AND RE-STABLISH CREDIT asap
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.