Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have my Discharge!!! BUT I HAVE A QUESTION

tag
heavenli
Contributor

I have my Discharge!!! BUT I HAVE A QUESTION

Hello ALL!!!!!

I have my discharge! I got it on 2/3/14!!! I am soooo excited! I sent off the my letters to the Credit Bureaus and now I am just waiting for them to update all of the balances. I have a question though, did any of you have a Credit Score in the 520's after discharge? Can I start rebuilding my credit even though my score is that low? I see a lot of you that have scores in the 600's even though you went through bankruptcy.

If there are any of you who were in the low 500's when you discharged and were still able to secure new credit and rebuild, can you chime in? And what does gardening mean?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have my Discharge!!! BUT I HAVE A QUESTION

@heavenli wrote:

Hello ALL!!!!!

I have my discharge! I got it on 2/3/14!!! I am soooo excited! I sent off the my letters to the Credit Bureaus and now I am just waiting for them to update all of the balances. I have a question though, did any of you have a Credit Score in the 520's after discharge? Can I start rebuilding my credit even though my score is that low? I see a lot of you that have scores in the 600's even though you went through bankruptcy.

If there are any of you who were in the low 500's when you discharged and were still able to secure new credit and rebuild, can you chime in? And what does gardening mean?

check out my stat line in my signature.  I was even below that.  Your schoreswill see their quickest increases earlier on in the process from what I've seen.  I secured a "secured card" from my local credit union a month after my discharge and saw a significant increase with the new line of credit and the bureaus reporting correctly.  Give them time, once all looking good - start the process.

I highly suggest you read the thread about building to 700 24 months post discharge.  there is a world of information in all those pages.

"gardening" means that you're laying low and letting your cards build time and tenure with the lenders and you're not out applying for new credit with anyone during that time.  Once people like us go from not being able to secure anything to being free and clear, applying for credit can get addicting.  trust me, i know.  however, with the right plan, dedication and patience - you can optimize your portfolio and build yourself a nice little baseline for the future.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 16
heavenli
Contributor

Smiley Very HappyThank you so much!!!! YES I read the post by Soulmaster and have begun to follow his advice I WISH I could get in with NFCU!!!! OH well.. I will just have to settle for USAA although I NEVER see posts about them...

Message 3 of 16
JLinCA
Established Member

USAA is not BK friendly from what I've read here. Is try a local credit union that is BK friendly. I just received my discharge and my score is below. I sent my letters to the CRA and I have a secured NFCU card on the way.

"" height="50">

Message 4 of 16
JLinCA
Established Member

I'd

"" height="50">

Message 5 of 16
heavenli
Contributor

Thanks so much my bro is in the Navy but doesn't have an account with NFCU or I would be on it!

Message 6 of 16
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Just trying to get an idea for my own sanity, do you know when the last day for your creditors to object was?  Mine was a week ago, and I am still awaiting discharge and it is killing me!

And CONGRATS!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 16
JLinCA
Established Member

My last day for creditors was 1/28/14. I received my discharge on 2/3/14. Good luck it should be any day!

"" height="50">

Message 8 of 16
heavenli
Contributor

Hello!

I do not know what that date was but I do know that it took a litte longer than I anticipated to get discharged and I was ready to pull out hair! ha ha

Message 9 of 16
heavenli
Contributor

Congrats to you both!! You and I discharged the  same day!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.