Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I jumped the gun

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I jumped the gun

My discharge is set for 7/10 but I was worried I was blacklisted from Cap1 and messed up.  I saw a prequal out there today and I applied, I was approved for a 3k platinum card.  

Should I wait until discharge to activate or it doesn't matter?  I don't plan on using until after discharge. 
Should I skip the Credit One piece completely?

My scores are upper 500s and low 600s.  

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I jumped the gun

I would have waited to apply for any accounts until after your discharged.
Message 2 of 40
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

yea..I would have waited until you received your official DC. Would be a shame if you got a trustee on a bad day, and he/she decided that your case could be dismissed or something. Whats done is done now...but DONT apply for ANYTHING else at all, until you get your official DC...Congrats on the approval though.
Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, it was a stupid move.  I just got caught up in the excitement.  Is there anything I can do to mitigate my stupidty?

Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to what Pizza said, and yes you should skip Credit One.
Message 5 of 40
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, it was a stupid move.  I just got caught up in the excitement.  Is there anything I can do to mitigate my stupidty?

We don't know what would happen if the trustee found out about it since you have more than a month to go (at least) before you get your discharge.

1) Put that card away. Don't use it at all and be prepared to explain why you applied for more credit during your Bk if you should get a letter from the trustee or your attorney has been contacted.

2) Keep away from any bank sites/credit card websites. Just don't apply. Keep away from this website if you don't have the ability to resist applying for credit cards during your Bk.

3) Take your Bk seriously. It isn't a joke and the trustee isn't your friend. Treat the process with respect. It is a chance given to you to start over with no debt. Running out and getting credit is contrary to the entire process. What would you do if the trustee decided to dismiss your Bk rather than issue a discharge? Could be disastrous.

PS - You posted about your discharge as if it is an automatic discharge. Many are granted - but not all and the trustee has complete power over your case.

Message 6 of 40
Pway
Valued Contributor

I most definitely would have waited for the DC papers.  Others are going to say it is okay and then others are going to say it's a bad thing.  I believe this a bad thing, do not apply for no more credit.  You do not want your case dismissed.  I am sure that same offer would of still been there once you have been discharged.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get it wasn't smart, I have no intenetion of even activating the card.  Can someone explain to me how the trustee would even know though that I applied for credit if I didn't even open the card?  How could even getting a hit on my credit report get a bankruptcy dismissed?  I'm truly trying to understand.

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone?  Or do you just want to continue to knock people down and make them fee badly?

I acknowledged it wasn't smart, but it also isn't prohitbited or anything my attorney even advised against.  I need a credit card to travel for work so it was something I was really concerned about.    I hope y'all are happy about the stress and anxiety you've added to instead of being a reasonable sounding board for providing hope and option as opposed to piling on and making me feel two inches tall.  Good on y'all.  I'll keep my future questions to myself.

Message 9 of 40
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I get it wasn't smart, I have no intenetion of even activating the card.  Can someone explain to me how the trustee would even know though that I applied for credit if I didn't even open the card?  How could even getting a hit on my credit report get a bankruptcy dismissed?  I'm truly trying to understand.

• You don't have to activate the card for it to show up on your report.
  • All the trustee has to do is pull your credit to see that you have been out seeking additional credit during the Bk process - before discharge.
  • I know that my attorney had me sign a contract/retainer agreement that included the 'no new credit' statement in the retainer agreement. Most attorney's have it - read your agreement.
  • BTW, when you file Bk you give the trustee permission to check all your records: CR, public records, and all the bank and other records you had to supply to your attorney. The trustee's office also has a duty to check your records independently from the records you submit. After all the trustee works for the creditors.

I am not trying to be harsh - but realistic with you. Getting a Bk discharge is an opportunity to start over with a good foundation. Take advantage of it.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.