cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm distraught after CH7 please help me!!!

tag
DesperateCh7

I'm distraught after CH7 please help me!!!

I filed for Chapter 7 in Nov. 2011. I will be discharged later this month. I recently reaffirmed my car loan thru Honda Financial. My plan was to use my cards with zero balance in good standing to help rebuild my credit after the bk. Well all but ONE of my good cards were cancelled by the credit card companies. One in particular was a Gap Visa. I was really counting on that one because it was the only MAJOR credit card I had left. CS said once they verify you filed BK they cancel your cards no matter your balance or your good history with them. I was so disappointed I broke down crying!!!

I had good credit all my life! I'm almost 38! So making the decision to file BK was NOT an easy one. It took me a long time to decide but I really had no choice. My house and rental property were upside down in the mortgage, lots of credit card debt, equity loans etc. My primary property was forclosed on and I surrendered all my property in the BK. The bank has yet to foreclose on the rental because of the area it's in. At least that's what my attorney said. So I'm still responsible for the property even tho I included it in my BK.

Ok, so I'm confused and upset right now because I don't know where to turn. How will I ever rebuild my credit? The only card I have is a store credit card NOTHING else besides a debit card. I did try to read the posts on this site but it was overwhelming and I can't focus right now. I was already depressed pre-filing now it's worse.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

So if anyone has the time, can you PLEASE give me tips on what I can do to get things back on track.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

Re: I'm distraught after CH7 please help me!!!

There will be a ton of credit-cards available to you once you are discharged. My pre-BK credit-history was everything but good but I was able to obtain 3 new CCs the month I was discharged. Capital one was one of them. I applied for their secured card. This is agreat way to establish credit again because you can decide on your own if you want to increase your CL.

Keep in mind that your closed CCs are still going to benefit you. Although the available credit is gone, they will still age with all other accounts and stay on file for the next 10 years, keeping your average age of accounts up.

Now, if they had a $0 Balance when you filed, make sure they DON'T report "Included in BK" - because they weren't. You don't want to be penalized for something that is incorrect.

Message 2 of 16
DesperateCh7

ok, so do I need to pull my credit report at this point and make sure everything is accurate? What about those goodwill letters I read about. Does that help after a ch7?

Thanks for responding!

Message 3 of 16
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

I'd say you should wait a month post discharge, pull your 3 reports and make sure everything is accurate ($0 Balance on accounts IIB and no IIB-notation on accounts that had a $0 Balance when you filed). If not, you should dispute any inaccurate information.

I'm not sure if goodwill letters will have a high rate of success right after discharge. These are most effective after a couple of years...keep in mind that the lender just lost money due to your BK and they won't be motivated to "reward" you right after discharge. 

Message 4 of 16
DesperateCh7

That's what I was thinking too about the goodwill letters. I only asked because I could have sworn I read on these forums where some people used them shortly after discharge to increase their credit score. Maybe I misunderstood.

Message 5 of 16
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@DesperateCh7 wrote:

That's what I was thinking too about the goodwill letters. I only asked because I could have sworn I read on these forums where some people used them shortly after discharge to increase their credit score. Maybe I misunderstood.

Well, unlikely doesn't mean impossible.Smiley Wink

You can certainly try your luck. Trying won't hurt your score.

Message 6 of 16
DesperateCh7

lol, thanks!

Message 7 of 16
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DesperateCh7 wrote:

Remember, too, that CH 13 discharge is several years after filing - wherease CH 7 discharge is a few months after filing.  And CH 13 does include repayment.  Some folks who have had success with GW's after a BK were those who had filed CH 13 - me included.  There may be folks who've had good luck GW'ing after a CH 7 - just don't want the issue to be too confusing.

Desperate, you'll be fine moving forward.  I know going through a BK can be highly emotionally charged.  Hanging around here is good therapy - there's lots of helpful folks who have been through it and offer terrific advice.

Message 9 of 16
DesperateCh7

Oh, I never realized that about the difference in discharge dates!

Thanks, I hope I can get my life back on track! I panicked for minute when I found out all but one of my cards were cancelled. Wish my attorney would have warned me or something, lol

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.