Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new - recently filed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new - recently filed

Well I might as well introduce myself.  My name is dirtbag and I recently filed bankrupcy

My wife and I racked up a ton of credit card debt and medical bills over the last 7 or so years and we've been dodging collection agencys like the plague.   I was on the verge of wage garnishment on an 15k federally guaranteed debt (luckily it's dischargable) and I figured it was time.  

My credit score has been in the low 500 forever and my wife's worse and I honestly feel like if we ever want to buy a house this was something that had to be done, and probably should have been done years ago.  I have a great job and make decent money, but I expirienced the hard way you can't get anywhere in life with a 500 credit score.

Anyway, I've been lurking around reading quite a bit since I considered filing and I figured I'd register and say hi and I welcome any advice thrown my way.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm new - recently filed

Welcome!

Please don't call yourself a "dirtbag."  Life happens and we are all human and make mistakes.  All you can do is live and learn and try hard not to repeat the same decisions that landed you here this time.

I am 99% sure that you will find that filing BK was the best thing you could have done to improve your lives.  You can have a 700 FICO in two years (probably a 620 - 650 FICO in one year), no debt, start setting up your rainy day fund, start saving for a house and your kids' education.

It is a huge weight off your shoulders.  You will sleep better.  Your marriage will improve.  It is like being reborn.

Welcome.  Congratulations on taking a positive step to improve your life.  Bankruptcy is a constitutionally protected right that was given to us by the framers of our constitution.  You and millions of other people have used it as a second chance.  Just take that second chance, do better and give back to the world as payment for your debts.

Message 2 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

Welcome

Yes, please don't call yourself a dirtbag.  Filing bankruptcy is nothing to feel bad over.  Most of us have been in your shoes, yes it took my pride when I had to do it but it was the best decision for me.  I am able to live freely and not have to worry about bills, and I can answer my phone without looking at the caller id.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 9
savingmoney87
Regular Contributor

I remember when I first filled for bankruptcy. I was at a low point in my life. I was so happy when I found this fourm. I was in such shame about my financial situation. Then I realized wow, I am not the only one. Look at all these people who are posting their recoveries, post Bk success, and were way better off. I've learned so much from the situation. I was able to get credit for anything I wanted before my Bk. I never even cared about what my score was because I constantly qualified. While my own recovery is not over yet, I encourage you to not beat yourself any longer. You sought help, now it's time to pick up the pieces you have left and I hope to see your own recovery story on here. 

1. Read the CH7 to 700 in 2 years thread and pretty much everything else you can on this fourm. 

2. Plot and determine your recovery plan. 

3. Set goals 500-600, 600-700, 700-750, etc. 

4. Anytime you feel like apping or questioning the value of your recovery come on back and POST! 

5. Soon enough you'll be over here playing the credit game. 

Good Luck to you and your wife!!!!

BTW... are you military? Talking about dirt bag....LOL Come on HIGH SPEED:-) 

]
Message 4 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@savingmoney87 wrote:

I remember when I first filled for bankruptcy. I was at a low point in my life. I was so happy when I found this fourm. I was in such shame about my financial situation. Then I realized wow, I am not the only one. Look at all these people who are posting their recoveries, post Bk success, and were way better off. I've learned so much from the situation. I was able to get credit for anything I wanted before my Bk. I never even cared about what my score was because I constantly qualified. While my own recovery is not over yet, I encourage you to not beat yourself any longer. You sought help, now it's time to pick up the pieces you have left and I hope to see your own recovery story on here. 

1. Read the CH7 to 700 in 2 years thread and pretty much everything else you can on this fourm. 

2. Plot and determine your recovery plan. 

3. Set goals 500-600, 600-700, 700-750, etc. 

4. Anytime you feel like apping or questioning the value of your recovery come on back and POST! 

5. Soon enough you'll be over here playing the credit game. 

Good Luck to you and your wife!!!!

BTW... are you military? Talking about dirt bag....LOL Come on HIGH SPEED:-) 

Agree 100% with all the above posts.

Welcome!  You will learn a lot here.  One thing I have to add to the excellent advice above - put together a budget first. You can do that now while you are in Bk. Make sure you have a spot for savings. If you need help with your budget try daveramsey.com or YouNeedABudget.com 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You came to the right place as this is a great resource for getting back on your feet.  Get your plan together, follow it, and don't make the same mistakes that got you here in the first place...you'll be just fine. Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the kind words and the great advice so far.   I'm loving this forum so far, it's an absolute treasure trove of information.

Yes I was military!

Message 7 of 9
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the Forums! Don't feel bad. We've all been there. 

The big thing is learning from the mistakes that got you there in the first place. Once you get your discharge, and even before, plan your steps to recovery. Be patient. It takes a lot more time to recover than it did to create the problems.

There are people to help you along the way. Use the help. Don't try to move too fast. Measure your steps and you will get through this dark tunnel.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.