Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I seriously need help

tag
Smarty0103
Established Member

I seriously need help

I just need advice on what to do...

I filed bankruptcy in February 2014 but was ordered to pay the trustee for an asset I kept. I lost my job and could not keep up with the payments. My chapter 7 bankruptcy was dismissed this month. 

I have a repossession that reports every month delinquent. I have 2 cap 1 credit cards that I have had for a year that I have kept current. Other than that, I just have my old debt hanging over my head. My credit score is an embarrassing 480.  I dont know whether I should refile bankruptcy and include all of the debts and start over. I dont know whether I should just start send out PFD letters. 

What would you do first? I am trying to buy a house in a couple of years and finally now have the income and stability to be more responsible with my finances.

TIA

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: I seriously need help

Making the decision of filing bk is up to you.  However, if you are over your head in debt I would sugging one a fresh start est that you speak to a bk attorney at once.  As you know filing bk is giving you a fresh start.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 8
Smarty0103
Established Member

Yes I understand that it is ultimately my decision. I guess I would prefer not to file again and have 2 bks on my credit. If I can PFD or something of that nature, I think that might be better for my credit. I dont know if I can even buy a house with 2 bks on my credit. I have a car and live within my means so I am not worried about anything currently. I just want to make the right steps for the future. I guess I am just curious as to what you would do if you were me?

Message 3 of 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes I would file bk if I was in your case.  Your first case was dismissed because you did not fulfil the obligations of the trustee.  Many of people have filed twice, with one of them being disminssed by the trustee.  It is all about the rebuild and yes you can purchase a home with two bk on your file.  It will take a couple of years to be able to do so but it is attainable.  Remember it is all up to you in your decision.  If you feel you can pay the creditors off becasue you are in a better situation then do it, however, YMMV.

However, OP you have posted the same question in another section.  Please do not cross post as you may confuse posters and it is against the standards here in the forums. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 8
Smarty0103
Established Member

Well thank you for the information. I also did not realize this was against the rules. My apologies. Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

No problem and you are welcome.

Message 6 of 8
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

I would say consult with a bk attorney or 2 and see what they recommend. I think you probably will need to file again but just my opinion on the info you provided. You really want the fresh start as everyone else has pointed out. Sounds like you got a partial fresh start.
Message 7 of 8
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

I don't know if re-filing increases the hurt of having a BK on your file or not - I would guess not.  I do know that raising a score is easier to do when you have cash and are able to keep your debt low.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.