Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact time after filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Impact time after filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy

Here is my question which is specifically to anyone that is in or has been in a chapter 13 bankruptcy as far as the score rebounding goes. After you have filed bankruptcy did it take 2,3,4, or 5 years before you noticed a significant change to where your FICO score went up closer to 700? And the second part of the question is this. Does the FICO score simulator take into account the time that has passed since the filing of the bankruptcy? In other words, in the simulator is the option for aging of accounts as well as looking two years ahead two years from when the last credit report & score was obtained.

So here is the bottom line. I am coming up on two years since the filing of my chapter 13 which will be next month on July 17. Will I notice anything different on July 18 as well as July of next year when the time since the filing is three years? I am just trying to get an idea, so i am asking for anyone's feedback that is or has gone through this?

Also, the time since the filing of a public record is too recent or too short. Will that reason ever go away before the 7 year mark when the chapter 13 is deleted from the report?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"MY" chapter 13 bankruptcy

CreditBob wrote:

Here is my question which is specifically to anyone that is in or has been in a chapter 13 bankruptcy as far as the score rebounding goes. After you have filed bankruptcy did it take 2,3,4, or 5 years before you noticed a significant change to where your FICO score went up closer to 700? And the second part of the question is this. Does the FICO score simulator take into account the time that has passed since the filing of the bankruptcy? In other words, in the simulator is the option for aging of accounts as well as looking two years ahead two years from when the last credit report & score was obtained.

So here is the bottom line. I am coming up on two years since the filing of my chapter 13 which will be next month on July 17. Will I notice anything different on July 18 as well as July of next year when the time since the filing is three years? I am just trying to get an idea, so i am asking for anyone's feedback that is or has gone through this?

Also, the time since the filing of a public record is too recent or too short. Will that reason ever go away before the 7 year mark when the chapter 13 is deleted from the report?

fyi:   I had a Ch 13 Bk.

Now I have a Discharged Ch 13 Bk.

* There is NO rebuilding until after the Court Discharges one!

I paid in full eleven months after filing.

I started my rebuild two months after I received the discharge order from the Court.

Prior to that, I made sure that the information at the three Credit Reporting Agencies was accurate and up to date.

Key amongst that was my address.  I also ensured that I had a government Photo ID, ie: Driver's License with the same Address.  I also ensured that I had utility bills and bank statements which had the same address.

I was fully ready with accurate information to apply for credit and be able to VERIFY who I was, and where I lived.

Only then did I consider applying for credit, that is after I had a detailed and written PLAN with specifics & dates to take action.

I began applying only eleven months ago. It has been easy because I simply followed the Plan I prepared.

Best Wishes!!!

Chapter 13 Dude ~ Discharged

Message 2 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Impact time after filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy

Actually, you can start rebuilding during a 13. You can talk to your attorney about the local rules on new debt and when you need the courts permission. I would suggest starting with a secured card.

My 13 was discharged in September. My Experian is currently at 690. TU is 752 but that's because it's actually clean. EQ probably is the most representative of my credit with a Bk and it's at 666.

My one regret is not knowing that I could start the rebuild process during my BK.

Best wishes!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off my Ch13 and once it was DISCHARGED did I start noticing better scores.  1 year before discharge I obtained permission for a car loan so I did start rebuilding during.  However even with that and credit cards only just last month. 17 months after DISCHARGE, did I get to a 700.

Now I just wait for next August, possibly July when the BK disappears FOREVER from my cr's.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:

No.  The second question, possibly a month or 2 earlier than the 7 year mark but thats it.  Its on there for 7 years, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:

Is your chapter 13 discharged or dismissed?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditBob wrote:

Is your chapter 13 discharged or dismissed?

Based on what I read he is still paying on the 13, just coming up on 2 years since FILING. 

Message 7 of 11
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Hi everyone, I just wanted to re-verify what I was saying because I feel that there is confusion. And yes I do understand that you cannot get any new credit without the trustee's permission or when it is discharged.

All that I was asking was this. From the filing date, without doing anything else, but allowing time time pass, has anyone that is or was in a chapter 13 bankruptcy noticed any changes in the score 2, 3, 4, or 5 years post filing? In other words did you see your score go up because of the time that has passed since the filing? I ask this because wanted to get an idea of what possibly could happen with other members.

Right now I am one year and eleven months since the filing. These are my current scores.

EXP    615

EQU   660

TR      620

What I did was this. I had some creditors that stated the account was included in bankruptcy 3 months after or 1 month before the filing. Those trade lines were deleted by the creditor. The other thing that I did was dispute any accounts included in bankruptcy that showed past due amounts or late payments. On the day that I filed I was current, no past due, or no late payments So the credit bureaus sided with me and updated everything to current with no lates. But they still showed the accounts as included in bankruptcy. And I had one that did an unauthorized update to date of last of activity of 7/2015 when I filed to 12/2016 to which the credit bureau also sided with me and change the date of last activity back to 7/2015.

PLEASE READ MY QUESTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU REPSOND BACK. ALL THAT I AM ASKING IS, HAS ANYONE NOTICED ANY CHANGES IN AN INCREASE IN THEIR FICO SCORES SPECIFICALLY TO WHEN 2, 3, 4, OR 5 YEARS HAVE PASSED POST FILING WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE???

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "MY" chapter 13 bankruptcy

Concerning "my" Chapter 13, all of the Fico Scores didn't matter until I  had the actual DISCHARGE order in hand, and was subsequently able to apply for credit.

Sebastian503 wrote:

CreditBob wrote:

fyi:   I had a Ch 13 Bk.

Now I have a Discharged Ch 13 Bk.

* There is NO rebuilding until after the Court Discharges one!

I paid in full eleven months after filing.

I started my rebuild two months after I received the discharge order from the Court.

Prior to that, I made sure that the information at the three Credit Reporting Agencies was accurate and up to date.

Key amongst that was my address.  I also ensured that I had a government Photo ID, ie: Driver's License with the same Address.  I also ensured that I had utility bills and bank statements which had the same address.

I was fully ready with accurate information to apply for credit and be able to VERIFY who I was, and where I lived.

Only then did I consider applying for credit, that is after I had a detailed and written PLAN with specifics & dates to take action.

I began applying only eleven months ago. It has been easy because I simply followed the Plan I prepared.

Best Wishes!!!

Chapter 13 Dude ~ Discharged

Message 9 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You kinda got answers above...maybe read them again. Juniebrunner stated they saw no change really until after dc. You also asked about getting to 700. We gave you some current score info regarding post dc. Without doing anything else, you may see a few points but until you dc and rebuild you won't see much. It's also going to depend on things like your AAoA and what drops off your report due to age. Without any open credit, it's difficult for the scores to go up.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.