Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Ch 13...2 months behind on mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Ch 13...2 months behind on mortgage

Im in Ch 13 as of Oct 2016...I'm currently 2 months behind on mortgage. i haven't told my attorney yet...the mortgage lender sent me a certified letter stating if i didn't pay the months I haven't paid that they will start the foreclosure process. I can't afford to foreclose. 

Has this happened to anyone? I'm trying desperately to find a part time job (retail, anything) and no call backs. 

Need advice, suggestions, etc. I'm going to meet with a HUD counselor tomorrow for a foreclosure avoidance counseling. I'm hoping I can apply for the forebearance and have the lender allow me more time to catch up those two months. 

Reason for those two months is I had to pay some outstanding bills (utilities, car repairs, new tires, etc). I'm capable of making future payments on time, just not those two months because everything just came at me all at once. With a single income, its hard.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: In Ch 13...2 months behind on mortgage

You are better off contacting your Bk attorney first. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just so embarassed and ashamed of myself but ok. I'll send him an email. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually at 2 months the lender will cma your house and add the fee to the balance.  At 90 days some will start foreclosure.  

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be wrong but my guess would be that, since you are in the process of a chapter 13, the mortgage company sent your attorney a copy of the letter too. I am sorry you are in this situation but you may as well discuss it with your attorney asap so he/she can do whatever is possible to help. Perhaps switching to a chapter 7 will be deemed a wiser option for your situation, in which case, the sooner the better.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a 7 its hard to keep the house

Message 6 of 7
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

I need to chime in here.

You need to discuss this with your attorney because falling two payments behind, in the grand scheme of things, is not a big deal. Your attorney can work out a stipulation with the lender to catch up the post petition default or, under certain circumstances, he/she can amend your Plan to add the missing payments and cure them through the Trustee. You hired the attorney for a reason - to help you get your financial house back in check. Your attorney cannot do his/her job if he/she is not told what is going on.

The bigger question is whether or not you should be walking from the home. If you cannot weather expenses that pop up from time to time and continue to service your mortgage, it is clear to me that you simply cannot afford the home. I think you need to do some soul searching and look at your financial situation more closely.

Des.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.