Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including Bank Credit Card in filing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Including Bank Credit Card in filing

I'll minimize what is in my USAA checking account but I wont zero it out.  I'll maintain a balance there for my auto and life insurance payments that USAA auto deducts anyways.  I dont think they will empty my account. Their bankrupty rep told me that even if I paid off the credit card balance in full the trustee would consider it preferential treatment and require the bank to return the payment to the trustee.  The threshold is any payment over $600.

As back-up I have applied for a checking account with TD bank.  Once its established I'll change my direct deposit.

If USAA is going to restrict online access the checking account with them becomes useless.  Manual deposits are still problematic with them and deposit at home is nice but it actually takes a long time if you dont do it correctly.  I dont care about having the abilty to view my life and auto insurance policies online.  USAA will create more work for themselves by having to entertain my calls for requests for documents, insurance cards or whatever I would normally access online.

Message 11 of 14
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll minimize what is in my USAA checking account but I wont zero it out.  I'll maintain a balance there for my auto and life insurance payments that USAA auto deducts anyways.  I dont think they will empty my account. Their bankrupty rep told me that even if I paid off the credit card balance in full the trustee would consider it preferential treatment and require the bank to return the payment to the trustee.  The threshold is any payment over $600.

As back-up I have applied for a checking account with TD bank.  Once its established I'll change my direct deposit.

If USAA is going to restrict online access the checking account with them becomes useless.  Manual deposits are still problematic with them and deposit at home is nice but it actually takes a long time if you dont do it correctly.  I dont care about having the abilty to view my life and auto insurance policies online.  USAA will create more work for themselves by having to entertain my calls for requests for documents, insurance cards or whatever I would normally access online.

You can probably save your savings account and use that for paying insurance premiums as they become due. 

You're right about the checking account becoming useless since you'd also lose Deposit@Home, too, I think.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks Underh20.  I'll keep the board posted on what actions USAA takes. 

After being stationed all over with the military and finally settling down...it would be nice to finally have a checking account with a bank where I can walk-in to a local branch.  I was a loyal Wells Fargo banking customer for 13 years and switched to USAA last year. The bank branch unavailability is still a problem.

Yes, deposit at home would not be an option if USAA pulls the online access plug.  I would have to mail the deposits in, and, quite frankly, who wants to do that?   My company reimburses me with checks for flex spending accounts and travel reimbursements.  If I did not have paper checks then USAA works fine.

Message 13 of 14
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks Underh20.  I'll keep the board posted on what actions USAA takes. 

After being stationed all over with the military and finally settling down...it would be nice to finally have a checking account with a bank where I can walk-in to a local branch.  I was a loyal Wells Fargo banking customer for 13 years and switched to USAA last year. The bank branch unavailability is still a problem.

Yes, deposit at home would not be an option if USAA pulls the online access plug.  I would have to mail the deposits in, and, quite frankly, who wants to do that?   My company reimburses me with checks for flex spending accounts and travel reimbursements.  If I did not have paper checks then USAA works fine.

If you're going to ultimately reaffirm with USAA, you could go temporarily to a credit union (Alliant comes to mind).  They have their own version of Deposit (at) Home. After you reaffirm they should open all online services for you.   
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.