Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Disputing a Dismissed BK harmful?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Disputing a Dismissed BK harmful?

Bankruptcy filed in 10/2005 and dismissed 2 years later. It's due to fall off credit reports in 10/2015 (Chp 7).  EQ deleted it already but I have no idea why. The other 2 have not. Any harm in disputing TU and EXP to get early deletion? What reason could I use? I called the court and they stated the 10/2015 date is correct. I swear I thought the date was earlier. Perhaps that's why EQ has already deleted.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Is Disputing a Dismissed BK harmful?

@Anonymous wrote:

Bankruptcy filed in 10/2005 and dismissed 2 years later. It's due to fall off credit reports in 10/2015 (Chp 7).  EQ deleted it already but I have no idea why. The other 2 have not. Any harm in disputing TU and EXP to get early deletion? What reason could I use? I called the court and they stated the 10/2015 date is correct. I swear I thought the date was earlier. Perhaps that's why EQ has already deleted.

Still have to wait the 10 years.. Disputing it would be pointless as it is valid and reporting correctly. You are so close, just wait it out Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
Luftty
Established Member

Hmm,  

You stated it was a chapter 7BK. How did it dissmissed 2years later? 

Because it usually dismisses or discharges a few months after filling (to my knowledge). Unless there was something fishy and the court got a wiff of it, if you know what I mean.

Now chapter 13 usually requires some sort of payment plan, that if you fail to keep up it can be dismissed a couple of years later.

As for the removal date of 2015, it is correct because it stays on your record 10 years and you entered protection on 2005.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luftty wrote:

Hmm,  

You stated it was a chapter 7BK. How did it dissmissed 2years later? 

Because it usually dismisses or discharges a few months after filling (to my knowledge). Unless there was something fishy and the court got a wiff of it, if you know what I mean.

Now chapter 13 usually requires some sort of payment plan, that if you fail to keep up it can be dismissed a couple of years later.

As for the removal date of 2015, it is correct because it stays on your record 10 years and you entered protection on 2005.

I was very irresponsible back then and didn't follow through on most anything in my life. I matured years ago and realized that I had to grow up. I can't even locate the paperwork because back then I didn't care. It was dismissed because I missed deadlines, didn't provide documents to the attorney, etc. What knowledge I have of the BK is from credit reports and communicating with the court by phone. It's very embarrassing. Fortunately I didn't have a whole of debt and was able to pay creditors. None of the accounts that were included in the BK are still on my reports. The only thing still on my report from the BK is the BK itself. Any baddies on my report are post BK before my mind matured.

Message 4 of 6
Luftty
Established Member

Yeah, been there too.

now try to build up good credit and let the bk fall off by itself, 5 more years. But that shouldn't stop you from awesome credit score.

the bk by it self at 5 years from what I have read it shouldn't affect score that much and credit should be accessible at excellent rates if you been paying on time,etc.

good luck

Message 5 of 6
Gunslinger4u
Valued Member

I am in a similar position.  Had hired a crappy lawyer in mid 2004 who made me quit making payments on debt even though I was still current and had excellent credit, just a lot of debt.  She dragged her feet to bilk me for more and more fees, and took her sweet time filing the actual BK until after my credit plunged from the mid 700's to the mid 500's.  After about 10 months of getting the runaround from her, she finally filed for Ch.7 BK in May of 2005.   When I showed up in court, a judge/attorney pulled me aside and asked why I was even there, as I made too much money for the debt I had to even be considered.  He told me that my lawyer should have told me that when I first went to her months before.   I asked for and was granted a  voluntarily dismissal.  Long story short, 7 years later in 2012, both Experian and Equifax automatically dropped it from their reports, but TU did not.  I disputed it with them a couple times, include at year 9.  They claimed it was valid and continue to keep it posted.  It is scheduled to drop off TU in May of 2015.  Not sure if my scores will go up much as it's been so long, and I paid all the debt off back in '05 by dipping into my retirement.  All three of my scores range from the low to mid 700's currently.  Just thought I'd give you my experience with BK dismissal dropoff period for Transunion.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.