cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Synchrony Bank stingy with their CLI for anyone else?

tag
collics1
Established Member

Is Synchrony Bank stingy with their CLI for anyone else?

They don't have an problem approving me, I have Walmart, Amazon Store, and Lowes, but they refuse to budge on the limits.

I've had the Walmart card since Nov and still stuck at $300.

I just got the Lowe's card a couple months ago, but $300 is nothing at a home improvement store really.

At this point, both cards have a $0 balance.

I'll be one year post bk7 discharge in May.

Any tips that may help? Should my overall utilization be super low? Does my credit score need to be a certain number?

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Synchrony Bank stingy with their CLI for anyone else?

My 4th statement with Walmart just cut today. Hit the love button and recieved my very 1st CLI with them. From 500 to 650. Was hoping for more but utilization is pretty high. Amazon was auto love round the 4th or 5th statement. Went from 600 to 900 and utilization is high on this one as well. Got both cards in Nov of last year. 

Message 2 of 24
collics1
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

My 4th statement with Walmart just cut today. Hit the love button and recieved my very 1st CLI with them. From 500 to 650. Was hoping for more but utilization is pretty high. Amazon was auto love round the 4th or 5th statement. Went from 600 to 900 and utilization is high on this one as well. Got both cards in Nov of last year. 

Thanks for that info.

The last stmt I have says Feb 20 2015. That's the last time I used it so they haven't cut me any more stmts.

I would be on my 4th stmt either now or within the next few days. but I haven't had any activity.

When i do hit the increase button it says can't process, which is always says. then I get the letter in the mail.

Maybe I should use it more?

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 3 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Synchrony either loves you or hates you....

In my case, they hate me. 

I read all over these forums about 4 month CLI's and blah blah blah... 

I had a $600 Walmart card and $600 Chevon/76 gas cards over a year... used every month for over a year and every request I made for a CLI was denied.  I did get a $100 Walmart auto CLI at 6 months and then a $200 auto CLI 3 months after that.... a whopping $300 total.

I ended up closing all 3 accounts in December 2014.

The only Synchrony cards I have now are my $7500 Care Credit (HP CLI requests so I don't bother) and a Sam's Mastercard I just opened last month... $2500 CL.

I don't expect to ever get a CLI from them... at least not till the end of the year when my BK13 stuff falls off... because they continue to cite that as reasons for my denials despite the fact it's over 6 years old now.

Did I mention I have $5-$10k major bank cards?  Still can't get a Synchrony CLI.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 24
Scupra
Super Contributor

I have been lucky! Amazon store card approved at $1,100 and is now at $6,000 in about 6 months time frame. Hang in there, you will get some luv. I think Sync likes to see some spend as well as a statement balance. Call backdoor for best results

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Scupra wrote:

I have been lucky! Amazon store card approved at $1,100 and is now at $6,000 in about 6 months time frame. Hang in there, you will get some luv. I think Sync likes to see some spend as well as a statement balance. Call backdoor for best results

This^^^^.  I only get increases when I use the cards. Never when they are zero balance.

Message 6 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

This^^^^.  I only get increases when I use the cards. Never when they are zero balance.

That probably has a lot to do with it... I was putting $50-$100 a month on the cards and never got the CLIs I requested... only the joke auto CLIs on the Walmart card.

I'm not a Walmart shopper because I can think of better places to go if I want to stand around for 30 minutes (waiting to check out)...

Sam's on the other hand has been a pleasant surprise.  There are registers open and places to park.  What a difference a small membership fee makes...

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH got his walmart card in November.  His starting limit was $1k.  They gave him a $200 auto cli in February.  I hit the luv button for him every month with no luck.  Today I decided to try chat.  The rep tried to steer me back to the request increase button but I told him we don't have luck with that and would like some help.  They asked income, and asked to wait while he reviewed the file.  They came back and said he is approved for a $3,500 CL, is that ok?  Umm yeah I will take it lol

Try the chat feature for an increase.

Message 8 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@collics1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that info.

The last stmt I have says Feb 20 2015. That's the last time I used it so they haven't cut me any more stmts.

I would be on my 4th stmt either now or within the next few days. but I haven't had any activity.

When i do hit the increase button it says can't process, which is always says. then I get the letter in the mail.

- That ^^^^^ If you have a $0 balance in their eyes there's no justifcation for a CLI. My Walmart card had a SL of $1200, I charged around $3-400 and got an auto CLI to $1600, then charged as much as $800 and got an auto CLI to $2400. And once you get those auto CLIs you're golden with Synch - even though I've been PIF to get a $0 balance lately I used chat and got a CLI to $5k. And I got approved for Lowes in Jan but only with a SL of $700. I called their credit analyst and explained I have my house on the market and plan to spend a couple grand sprucing it up and got the CL raised to $5k. Try chat, they seem to be more accomodating - when logged into the account during biz hours you'll see the Chat Now icon.

Message 9 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@collics1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that info.

- That ^^^^^ If you have a $0 balance in their eyes there's no justifcation for a CLI. My Walmart card had a SL of $1200, I charged around $3-400 and got an auto CLI to $1600, then charged as much as $800 and got an auto CLI to $2400. And once you get those auto CLIs you're golden with Synch - even though I've been PIF to get a $0 balance lately I used chat and got a CLI to $5k. And I got approved for Lowes in Jan but only with a SL of $700. I called their credit analyst and explained I have my house on the market and plan to spend a couple grand sprucing it up and got the CL raised to $5k. Try chat, they seem to be more accomodating - when logged into the account during biz hours you'll see the Chat Now icon.

Yeah I'm hoping to see some love with the Sam's MC.  It's a Synchrony card that I actually use...  the 5% gas rebate is nice.

My former Synchrony cards (76, Chevon, Walmart) weren't used much and I didn't see CLIs.  For whatever reason Sam's Club is 10000000000% better than Walmart... everything from the checkout lines to the parking... so I don't mind shopping there.

Walmart?  Never again.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.