cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that there's no chance?

tag

Is it true that there's no chance?

So, I've heard the bad news that Citi, Chase, Amex, and Discover won't approve you if you have a bankruptcy reporting on your credit report. I unfortunately had all of these included in my bankruptcy from when I was young and stupid, running up cards.

It was my hope to get my credit good again and apply for these cards, but from what I'm hearing there's no chance at all.

Is it true? I'm hoping to hear some good news, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it true that there's no chance?

I think there are two points I need to make here.

If you did not burn any of those mentioned, there is a chance you could get a Discover IT card around 12 months post discharge. (Suggest you read Soulmaster's guide to 700 in 24 months). The others will be more challenging, at least in the first three to five years post discharge.

Now, if you burned any of them you mentioned, you are pretty much SOL for a good seven years. And even when your BK drops off your CR, they may still reject you based on how much you owed a time of discharge.

Hope js not lost - just remember that rebuilding takes patience. And lots of it.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 18
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

I've never had a Citi, Chase, Amex or Discover card... and don't really care.

My only experience with Citi is my current Best Buy card... it was originally backed by CapOne till Citi took over last year.  Maybe this will help me get a major CC with them later on... but if it doesn't I won't lose sleep.

There are plenty of other banks... and my own credit union BECU has helped me more than any major bank would at this stage anyway.

Message 3 of 18
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:

So, I've heard the bad news that Citi, Chase, Amex, and Discover won't approve you if you have a bankruptcy reporting on your credit report. I unfortunately had all of these included in my bankruptcy from when I was young and stupid, running up cards.

It was my hope to get my credit good again and apply for these cards, but from what I'm hearing there's no chance at all.

Is it true? I'm hoping to hear some good news, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

not saying this to be rude but why care about these banks when there are other avenues where you can get the same if not better benefits? a perfect example would be in my imcu cc, its beats almost any prime card in interest rate, limit, and limit although the rewards are not the greatest.

Message 4 of 18
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Discover has been known to approve around 12 moths post. A recent prime experiment here proved Chase  is also in play around 36 mos with recon even if you IIb them. As always YMMV. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 18
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

AFAIK - 

Citi = No w/ BK still reporting, if you burned them black list for even longer

Amex = May approve 7 years + 1mo post D/C if you have perfect history for that 7 years.  If you burned them, blacklist forever (or until you pay it back).

Discover - May approve post 13mo post BK7 filing - I have one (got @ 14 mo post filing)

Chase - May approve w/ BK (recon), but I don't know timeline - I have one (got @ ~40 mo post filing)

YMMV,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 6 of 18
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Discover IT- was a no go for me at 24 months, I just hit my 3 Year mark and Discover approved IT at $1000.

Chase- basically said no way, 36 months was not enough to show rebuilding.  May revisit in fall...or not.

Citi -Nothing, had a BB Mastercard they took over.  Wouldnt CLI that or give me a decent Citi card...closed BB and havent looked back. 

My scores are nearing 700 but the BK is a real downer.  Of course this is just my experience, best of luck to you!

A quick note, none of the above were IIB. 

Message 7 of 18

Yeah, unfortunately I stupidly included every single prime credit card lender in my BK. Ugh. Had I known about blacklisting, I probably would have paid them all back just to avoid this headache now. At the point that I filed BK I had already seriously defaulted and was probably on all their blacklists anyway, no matter what I did at that point.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 8 of 18
bunga7
Regular Contributor

If you're not a member of a credit union, I'd seriously think about joining one. I joined post BK, and they have been invaluable. Easy to work with, easy to get in touch with, and gave me an unsecured CC with a better rate than I EVER had pre-BK.

While I sstill have a bank account, I do nearly all me banking through the CU. And I'm MUCH happier with them.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Bunga7, I just joined a local CU - how quickly did you get an unsecured CC with them?

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.