Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that there's no chance?

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it true that there's no chance?

if they hard pulled for memebership i would ask if you qualify for any other products based off the same pull

Message 11 of 18
lovelylisa84
Valued Member

I had 3 of those banks a few years ago that were IIB. I haven't even tried to apply. I have two unsecured CC one from Capital One and the other is Barclays. Both are reward cards and I love them! I tried getting a CC with my Credit Union and was flat out denied due to BK. I heard that NFCU is better but I am not sure how I can get one since I am not in the service and do not live with anyone. I only have two in laws who are in the service but they aren't immediate family members. Smiley Sad But lets be honest, there are other CC companies that you can get cards with!

TU FAKO 5/2013 605 6/2013 617
EQ FICO 5/2013 535 6/2013 623
BK7 Filed 3/29/13
Score Goal:715
Message 12 of 18

Yes, but those don't look nearly as good on my credit report as the well known and respected companies. Yes, I realize that a two year old BK on my report doesn't look very good either, but if I can get cards with Chase, Citi, Discover, and BOA, then use them well and build a good history, the BK will matter less and less.

I actually didn't include Citi in my BK. I settled with Citi for less than the full balance, which I realize looks like crap too, but at least it wasn't in the BK. If there's a chance with Chase and Discover, and Citi wasn't actually included, but settled, maybe I can work around it. I'm also hoping for BOA. Amex I'm giving up on entirely, they have a permanent blacklist.

Citi may reject me because of the BK itself, whether I included them or not, and the fact that I defaulted then settled with them. Eh. What a mess.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 13 of 18
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

If you're not a member of a credit union, I'd seriously think about joining one. I joined post BK, and they have been invaluable. Easy to work with, easy to get in touch with, and gave me an unsecured CC with a better rate than I EVER had pre-BK.

While I sstill have a bank account, I do nearly all me banking through the CU. And I'm MUCH happier with them.

Me too... I banked with BofA for a number of years and then Chase... and none were as friendly and helpful to me as my local credit union BECU.  I'll never go back to a bank.

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Bunga7, I just joined a local CU - how quickly did you get an unsecured CC with them?

I opened my account with BECU in April 2013... shortly before my discharge.  I went to them at discharge in May and asked for a CC... they only offered secured but said to get another card like Capital One and come back in 6 months and they would match it.

@Anonymous I did just that... and came back in December.  They did more than match my $1000 CapOne card... they gave me a $7k Visa @ 10.9%... it will drop to 8.9% automatically once my score increases.  That is the best rate they offer.

I'm also preparing to refi my car next month... I got a not so good 8.9% rate days after discharge... BECU already told me they'll cut the rate in half.

I filed a 13 which has definitely helped me out in the long run with rebuilding versus filing a 7.

Message 14 of 18
bracketbuster

I included all of those in my BK 4.5 years ago and only Citi has given me cards. The cards Citi gives me are not Visa/MC but store cards they back. I am in the final process of getting a mortgage and Chase, Amex and Discover still won't even look at me. Barclays seems to be really good at giving you a card. They gave me one and denied my wife. When my wife called, they told her exactly what to do to get one. Three months later she called back and they issued her one.

Message 15 of 18
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@TRC2k13 wrote:

@bunga7 wrote:

If you're not a member of a credit union, I'd seriously think about joining one. I joined post BK, and they have been invaluable. Easy to work with, easy to get in touch with, and gave me an unsecured CC with a better rate than I EVER had pre-BK.

While I sstill have a bank account, I do nearly all me banking through the CU. And I'm MUCH happier with them.

Me too... I banked with BofA for a number of years and then Chase... and none were as friendly and helpful to me as my local credit union BECU.  I'll never go back to a bank.

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Bunga7, I just joined a local CU - how quickly did you get an unsecured CC with them?

I opened my account with BECU in April 2013... shortly before my discharge.  I went to them at discharge in May and asked for a CC... they only offered secured but said to get another card like Capital One and come back in 6 months and they would match it.

@Anonymous I did just that... and came back in December.  They did more than match my $1000 CapOne card... they gave me a $7k Visa @ 10.9%... it will drop to 8.9% automatically once my score increases.  That is the best rate they offer.

I'm also preparing to refi my car next month... I got a not so good 8.9% rate days after discharge... BECU already told me they'll cut the rate in half.

I filed a 13 which has definitely helped me out in the long run with rebuilding versus filing a 7.

I was about 1 month post BK when I opene a savings account. At the time my score was 540, they needed at least 550 to open free checking. I waited a month, reapplied and was over the 550. I took another hard pull, so I asked about a secured card at the time. Sge said once my Direct Deposit started hitting my account, she would turn in the CC app and would ask for unsecured. (they wanted to make sure I was going to do "most" of my banking with them)

Anyhow, after my first DD posted, I called and they said they would approve me for 1K unsecured w/3.9% intro rate. They als offered a $500 line of credit that I could pull from my checking account.

To be honest, I'd stick with the CU if only for their service. It is SO nice to talk to the same people each time, and the service is miles above anything you get from a large bank.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
bunga7
Regular Contributor

Also, they were willing to finance an auto (which I wound up not doing.) The CU rep told me what their rate tiers were and I decided to wait until I hit 640, which would get me around 3.99% auto loan. I still have a small account with 5/3 bank, but I'm a CU guy all the way now!

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 18
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

Also, they were willing to finance an auto (which I wound up not doing.) The CU rep told me what their rate tiers were and I decided to wait until I hit 640, which would get me around 3.99% auto loan. I still have a small account with 5/3 bank, but I'm a CU guy all the way now!

It's funny you mention that because that's the exact rate I just got today...  (see my new post)

I now have my checking/savings, best CC and my auto loan all with BECU... it's hard not to love them!  LOL

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.