Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there life after BK?

tag
holhat
Regular Contributor

Is there life after BK?

Filed BK 7 last week. I know I wait for discharge next month but what then? Who gives credit to rebuild credit? So overwhelmed
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there life after BK?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Yes there is life after BR.  Look at my sig to see what I've done in the 9 months since my Ch 13 discharge.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 15
holhat
Regular Contributor

Thank you
Message 3 of 15
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Keep reading the stuff that have been posted in this forum. Good luck with your rebuild.

Message 4 of 15
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

read the 700 in 24 months thread ....at least the first post and yes there is life after bk! one of the cards in my signature below has a 10 k limit and a 9.9% fixed apr so i would say absolutely yes

Message 5 of 15
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I just had a funny thought [yeah I try to do that occasionally!] that most of us won't be here posting if there were no "life" after bankruptcy. lol

Message 6 of 15
Tricky3
Valued Member

Oh yes there is!  

I filed BK in 2006 and I have not been late on a thing since (and never carry a balance).  I have Chase Marriott & SWA (10k), CaptialOne Venture (10k), Barclaycard (10k), Amex Platinum, minor cards are Target, Kohl's, NewEgg, PayPal BillMe Later, GE Medical.  My two chase cards I got a little over a year ago but had to call in to them when I got the online decline (since then they have been GREAT to me on my CL). CaptialOne was my first subprime card (World Card I think it was) but was upgraded to Venture after 4 years ago after calling into them.  They also raised my limit from 4k to 10k on a call too - it took a few phone transfers but they did it on my history only and did not even hard pull my scores!  Oh, I have a HSBC Card (10k) but I pretty much hate that card (along with my Barclaycard) - but I guess it is really a CaptialOne card now.

Just last Saturday I was approved for my Amex Platinum card - after many tries.  This was my "gold ring" to get back into the Amex door (since I burned them for ~4k on my BK).  They even backdated my membership to 1996 - which I find amazing.

TU (from Barclaycard site): 731, EX: 738, EQ: 701

Message 7 of 15
holhat
Regular Contributor

Lol, good one ezdriver. I am just so overwhelmed and worried about rebuilding. Seems like it will be forever before we get credit again, ugh Smiley Embarassed After some reading here, I have hope, thank you

Message 8 of 15
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@holhat wrote:

Lol, good one ezdriver. I am just so overwhelmed and worried about rebuilding. Seems like it will be forever before we get credit again, ugh Smiley Embarassed After some reading here, I have hope, thank you

If you follow the 7 to 700 plan you have credit again a month-or-so after filing!  Then more 30 days after that!  How is that "forever"?  ;-)

Yeah, you're going to get some lousy interest rates, but interest rates don't matter at all because you already know that you're never, ever, going to carry a balance on a credit-card again. ;-)  

-SM

Note: I'm 40mo post filing and just got approved for a $5K Chase Freedom.... 40 mo isn't that long at all for a card that's considered "prime".

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 9 of 15
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@holhat wrote:
Filed BK 7 last week. I know I wait for discharge next month but what then? Who gives credit to rebuild credit? So overwhelmed

There is life after BK.  I haven't filed BK, but I helped my fiance file (with the help of this awesome forum); and before he filed, he was an emotional wreck - wasn't getting hardly any sleep, not eating much, became frustrated and angry at the smallest things...the only reason he filed was because of Ford (he used to be a robot programmer there).  But to make a long story short, he filed this past August (I believe), and almost immediately, he became a totally different person; one that I could actually live with and didn't have to worry about what's bothering him.  He received his DC papers this past December, and couldn't be more happier!  He knows that there's going to be work involved in rebuilding his credit, but he says it's a small price to pay for the piece of mind that he's regained.

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.