Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time for Filing - Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Time for Filing - Questions

My husband and I filed Bankruptcy in November, 1999 - it was final in March,2000.  This was due to a law suit against the company my husband owned.

I know the laws have changed and I have tried to read everything that I could, but I still have questions.  This Forum has so many good discussions going, thought I'd ask for help or possibly some good suggestions.

We are both on limited income with Social Security - his early retirement and mine disability.  We both do not have any health insurance - husband is 2 1/2 years away from medicare and I'm still waiting out the two year

In November, 2008 - My husband had a heart attack and was in the hospital for over a week - then he was readmitted in January for his health.  Due to having no insurance, the medical bills have topped over $70,000.00.

The only assets that we have is our home, which we are buying and two older cars that are paid for.

Needless to say, we are in financial trouble.

These are my questions:

* Is it correct that an 8 - year waiting period for filing bankruptcy a second time?

* Credit cards - we have used some of them to just get by on - medication, etc.  - We have not made any payments on the cards since December, 2008.  We are in debt to the credit cards, approximately $40,000.00.

* What is the average cost for filing bankruptcy - Chapter 7 ?

* How much time should we wait due to our credit card activity?

* Will our Social Security income be in harm to the collectors?

Thank so much for the opportunity of joining this forum and being able to discuss our very stressful situation.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It's Time for Filing - Questions

Forgot this one:

Is there a timeline on adding new debts?

We are still receiving new and different medical bills daily, it seems.  Will the attorney be able to attach them if any should come in after we file?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It's Time for Filing - Questions

If you have an attorney then he should be able to get almost all of your stuff under the BK, without havintg your retirement income involved...
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.