Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Hunting and BK....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Job Hunting and BK....

Has anyone had any luck overcoming the infamous background check that includes checking credit when applying for a position?  My husband is looking for employment, I know that they performed 'background checks' which included credit even for positions that did not involve any exchange of money.  No matter how much I agree or disagree with this practice, it is a fact of life.

Has anyone been hired for a position after filing for bankruptcy?  How did you deal with the background check? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TigerCat
Valued Member

Re: Job Hunting and BK....

I would say in this case it all depends on the employer. I came across an HR memo at one of my former employers (large insurance company) that stated anyone who had filed a BK within the last 2 years would not be eligible for hire. Keep in mind that a BK will most likely show up regardless of a credit check, since it is considered a public record. Just be honest on any application or if asked about it in person.

Message 2 of 7
WanaDoBetter
Valued Member

I filed CH 7 in 2002 and since then I have had several new jobs with some very detailed background searches and it hasn't ever been an issue.  I never tried to hide it but I didn't go to any great effort to point it out either. But I do know that it was disclosed in the searches. For what it is worth I am at an executive level and I do know several executive level friends that have been through it too. Divorce and medical bills do not discriminate.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WanaDoBetter wrote:
I filed CH 7 in 2002 and since then I have had several new jobs with some very detailed background searches and it hasn't ever been an issue.  I never tried to hide it but I didn't go to any great effort to point it out either. But I do know that it was disclosed in the searches. For what it is worth I am at an executive level and I do know several executive level friends that have been through it too. Divorce and medical bills do not discriminate.

Great to hear about your experiences - and very good point about divorce and medical bills.  Thanks for the post!
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had any luck overcoming the infamous background check that includes checking credit when applying for a position?  My husband is looking for employment, I know that they performed 'background checks' which included credit even for positions that did not involve any exchange of money.  No matter how much I agree or disagree with this practice, it is a fact of life.

Has anyone been hired for a position after filing for bankruptcy?  How did you deal with the background check? 

I was hired several times after BK. I have no idea if a background check revealed it or not. I never really thought about it. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of my BK. It's simply one more part of my life.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have him apply for goverment jobs- They do not hold BK's against you. It's ironic to not hire the person with a BK over a person with debt since they BK person should owe less and be under less pressure to do whatever the employer fears they will do. Good Luck!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most companies are more concerned the liability associated with debt.  Overwhelming debt can make people vulnerable.  People who owe large amounts of money may be more tempted to steal.

Those right out of BK have minimal debt - so they are not as big of a liability in that sense. 

Since I filed for BK7, I have changed employment twice.  Both employers obtained credit reports.  No problems at all.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.