Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join NFCU before or after discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join NFCU before or after discharge?

Hi guys, I need your wisdom! I already joined the San Diego chapter of the Navy League, but I'm wondering if I need to wait before submitting a request to become an NFCU member. I filed BK7 a week ago and am waiting on my 341 meeting and discharge this summer. If I open an account with NFCU will they close it once my BK7 is discharged? Thanks for any input! : )

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nomadicpixie
Valued Member

Re: Join NFCU before or after discharge?

It is fine to open the accounts before discharge. I personally would wait until after the 341 meeting. The only reason - if the trustee asks if you've opened or have any accounts you didn't report the answer is no. I opened my NFCU the day after my 341. That way the accounts will be settled, funded, etc by discharge.

Rebuilding from BK 7
EQ-554 TU-567 EX-542 ~ Day of Filing (2/2017)
EQ-559 TU-496 EX-510 ~ Day of Discharge (6/2017)
EQ-696 TU-677 EX-679 ~ Current (4/18)
Credit One, Merrick, Paypal, Overstock, Pottery Barn, NFCU Secured & CapOne
Live, learn, and overcome
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I didn't even think of that. That you so much for the input! I'm excited to build a relationship with NFCU. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as I get my discharge I'll be opening my account with NFCU too. I am very excited to join their "family" too. Members say great things about them.

Message 4 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

You can join NFCU before your bankruptcy, just don't apply for any credit products. I think Navy Federal is the one of the best national credit unions for rebuilding credit.

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 6
nothopelessyet
Established Member

Thank you @guyatthebeach! I'm going to start the membership application process today (this is Thrashley btw, I didn't realize I had this old account I needed to log in to to order my scores/reports). 

Filed BK7 4/5, 341 5/17

4/21 FICO EQ 484
4/27 FICO EX 516
5/22 FICO EQ 524 9/12 FICO EQ 604
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.