Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint credit advice post bankruptcy

tag
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Joint credit advice post bankruptcy

Hello everyone I apologize for the long note but I wanted to give a full picture 2004 - discharged bankruptcy Chapter 7 Score at the time were about an average of 620 across the board Current scores April 2012 are (Fico) TU 719, EQ 740, EX 738 Oldest account Macys 1997 as AU Average age 7 years No inquiries since 2008 I take a great deal of pride in the turnaround and wants to keep pushing My fear is that I closed some of the older legacy post BK accounts such as orchard and capitalone & Household due to low limit and annual fees. Then target closed a joint visa card with my wife since 2006 due to inactivity. Now when I closely monitor the credit reports . All actives revolving ones are neither individual nor joint. Basically I am AU on my wife's chase , Amex and sears Citi cards I have no current car loans . But do have positive record of two auto loan installments paid in full Is that Ok Should I be applying for a joint account so I dont look like I am only piggy backing on her credit ( he average fico score is 760) Or just wait it out for another two years at which BK falls off Thank you for reading my note

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Joint credit advice post bankruptcy

No offense to you, but IMHO joint credit (even between a married couple) is the dumbest thing in the world.

While I hope your marriage lasts forever, the truth is that most of them (60%) fail for one reason or another.  Though the judge can assign joint-debt to one party or the other, he cannot amend the actual contract (see the Contracts Clause of the U.S. Constitution).  

Inevitably, when a marriage ends, all the joint debt will get assigned by family court to one person or the other, if that person stops paying (or files BK), the divorce order on the debt-assignment is over-ruled by the original contract which both parties signed.  In other words, the debt gets assigned to the other party immediately (and it's already impacted thier CScore from the lates).  So, four, fourteen or even forty years after the divorce you can still be proverbially screwed by the other person.

Again, I hope your marriage lasts forever, but financial decisions should never be based on "hope".  Get your own cards, garden with them, and make her an AU on those.

In summary, joint credit is the same as co-signing.  It's a method for the credit card companies to create an extra avenue to be paid in the event of default.  Rule #1 about credit: NEVER co-sign for anything with anyone unless you can see the future.  Though, if you CAN see the future, go win the lotto and forget credit all together.

-SM

Note: Joint credit on a house (when married) is marginally fine, but if there is a divorce, sell the house and split the profits (if any).

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 8
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

No offense at all. Smiley Happy What do you advise I would should giving my current scores and being 8 years out of bankruptcy Granted I am already an AU on some of her prime lender accounts Thank you

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Message 3 of 8
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Honestly, with your scores and your BK 8 years old, you could probably get approved for most anything except Chase (they seem to be the hardest with a BK reporting).  Even an Amex charge might be feasible.

I'd look for cards w/ $0 AF (save for AMEX) and maybe some rewards.  Assuming you're going to pay it off every months, the interest rate shouldn't matter.

Hmm... I think if I were you I'd go for an Amex PR Gold (if you'll use it enough), a Discover More, and some visa/mc.  If you're a member of a CU (especially NFCU) I'd probably get one of their visas/mcs.

You can even check the Amex/Disco/CapOne pre-approve sites, though I got my Disco 11mo after BK and didn't have a pre-approval.

Whatever you do, start slow, and 3-4 CC's should be a good chunk to garden with for a while.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 4 of 8
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Well I did get several preapproval offers for discover more But I would love to get my hands on Amex green charge card I just do not have the courage to apply Smiley Happy Thanks for your input

Message 5 of 8
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Since you haven't applied for anything in several years, a single inq on your report isn't going to make you go down much... maybe 5pts.  I think you've actually got a chance for the Amex Green... there are various random threads that allude the Amex formula ignoring BK after 7.5 years.  It's antecdotal at best, but no guts, no glory.

If it were me, I'd go for the Amex, then grab the disco on one of your PA offers, then a nice MC or Visa.

Don't forget, if fail you can always try and recon Amex.

-SM

Message 6 of 8
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Agreed I think I have been patient enough Will give it a shot and post the results

Message 7 of 8
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Soul master My father in law jus added my wife and I to his sears card which dates back to 1974 I know I know No guts no glory But I will examine that impact first prior to applying for Amex green Also I was thinking about calling them instead of the online app

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.