Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Discharged, now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Discharged, now what?

I was recently discharged few days ago from Chapter 7.

The only thing that's still reporting is my kid's student loan (PLUS - Parent Loan of Undergraduate Student).

First, a brief story: I was recently divorced from a wife who charged up hers and mine cards and after years of shovling my hard-earned pay into paying down debts. Once I asked for divorce, she left me huge debt by charging up my cards. Possibiliy opening a Capital One in my name ($300 limit) I told CapOne it wasn't me but they couldn't do anything about it! Coupled with no more overtime pay, she left a kid in my care, dogs, etc... it was overwhelmed and I was forced to file for Bankruptcy Chapter 7.

Now things are good since she doesn't have access to my credit (It's been credit freeze with any alerts if she or her friends tried to open any accounts!)

So with that being said and done,  I'd like to rebuild my credit because I know I will do good with my credit as I did before she messed mine up. I'd like to buy a new car for my commuting to work, kids events, etc. in late fall.

I don't have any credit cards at all but I need one or 2 to rebuild, hopefully unsecured! Based what I have seen here, it looks like Capital One is the best way to go and even people who burned them did get new card from them! I'm not looking for a HUGE credit limit just a reasonable enough for me to charge it, repay in full to report postive on my credit reports to boost my credit scores (which is about 544 to 560 now, from 805 before the divorce!!!! Ugh!)

I'd like to buy a home in couple years (after showing good payment history on my card(s).

So what is the good way to rebuild? I'm kinda scared of even trying to apply for a card and face denial notice!

Thank you for your time in reading this and hopefully answering this.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just Discharged, now what?

Do the capital one pre-qualifier and see if they will approve I have burned them twice over the years and they still gave me a 500 and 300 card this month after filing chapter 7 in Feb and before discharge.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

But wouldn't that impact Hard Pull? I don't want to rack up too many HPs.

Message 3 of 14
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

The qualifier is a soft pull it's only a hard pull if you apply.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't know that. So if I try that what would they say? Approved or not if approved, then what's the next step?

Message 5 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

I think Cap1 is worth the HP honestly. If you are blacklisted they wont pull your credit anyway. They are probably your best shot at an unsecured card right now. If you are approved for the first one I would apply for a second one right away as almost all are approved for 2nd Smiley Happy Saves you a HP! Good luck and let us know how it works out 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 14
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

I know it says no cards found if you aren't pre qualified..
Message 7 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

Just don't rely on a pre qual. Plenty of us have been approved without it. If you have it great, if not oh well Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 14
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Hey, welcome to the forum.  Everyone above is correct.  I burned Cap 1 in BK and they were very good to me 11 months ago when I was discharged. See what you can do to stay away from secured cards. If that doesnt work, there are still other good options if you have to go the secured route.  I strongly suggest you READ all you can on this forum and continue to learn how to repair your situation.  Im a few days from 1 year after discharge and I never could have imagined being in this good of shape.  You can do this. Good luck,

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree about all that is said about Capital One. I also burned them and that was my first card after my Chapter 13. It was a secured card that worked well for me. I am just cancelling it this month after two years of on time paid in full record that was the beginning of my credit recovery.

Good luck in your endeavors. You are in the right place for help as these forums really changed everything for me. 

In my wallet: Quicksilver 5000; Venture 15,000; Barclay Apple Rewards 2000; CareCredit 3300; Bank of America Platinum Visa 2000; Bank of America Travel Rewards 3500; Bank of America Travel Rewards 3500; Amazon Store Card 5000; Discover 10,000; Barclay Ring Platinum MasterCard. 12,500. Total Credit: 61,800.
6/27-FICO: EQ - 789; TU - 776; EX - 681; GOAL: 780 across the board then 800 across the board. Reset my garden date to today. Gardening until further notice.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.