Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Filed Chap 7 3/7/16

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Filed Chap 7 3/7/16

Hello All, 

Been stalking this site the last 2 months and finally joined. So offically filed Chap 7 3/7/16 have my 341 Meeting 4/14/16 in MA. Whats next?. My car is in my husbands name so didnt have to worry about that, mostly filed due to judgements and older items from 2009 that are lingering on my credit reports, roughly $35k in debt. No credit card so wont be burning Cap1 or Barclay. 

My current credit score as of today 3/8 are EX 597 EQ 602 TU 600. After my discharge will they go down or up. Would like to lease a vehicle and get rid of the car I have with my husband this time next year will my credit be good enough to  be approved for decent financing or even a lease? So many questions racing through my head. Should I apply immediately after my discharge for my first credit card in nearly 6 years. Been paying cash for almost everything since I could never be approved for credit. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love this forum all the advice I have read so far. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wissam
Contributor

Re: Just Filed Chap 7 3/7/16

you did the right thing by filing 

your score will be down once the filing show in ur public record but it will increase every time an anount close with 0 balance . 

dont worry about ur score . 

good luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

talk to your lawyer about getting all of your judgements vacated after your BK discharge, this will help you recover faster. Most states allow you to vacate a judgement after it is no longer a collectable debt aka BK discharge. Many people think that since they say zero owed closed they dont hurt you after BK, they still do. Vacateing will allow you to have the judgements removed from your credit reports. Work on making sure everything on your report is accurate after the update following your discharge. The more you remove the better, trust me I learned this the hard way and it took me a long time to get things removed that I could have removed earlier.  The better you can get your score right after the BK the better. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums! Now is the time to relax a little. If you start rebuilding, you will be able to get a decent loan on a car a year from now. If your husband has some credit cards that are in good shape, ie low utilization, perfect payment history, then get him to add you as an authorized user. That will help the rebuild as well.

Good luck to you.

Message 4 of 7
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Making sure everything gets reported/removed,etc becomes a job on it's own lol. Be patient and monitor everything. Definately get the judgements vacated. I expected my scored to drop after discharge but they actually went UP around 40 points with the same week of it being reported. I got 3 credit cards in the month before discharge and one a couple of weeks after. All unsecured.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@6speed8 wrote:

Making sure everything gets reported/removed,etc becomes a job on it's own lol. Be patient and monitor everything. Definately get the judgements vacated. I expected my scored to drop after discharge but they actually went UP around 40 points with the same week of it being reported. I got 3 credit cards in the month before discharge and one a couple of weeks after. All unsecured.

I had my 341 meeting in Frbruary.  Can I apply for cards before I receive the discharge?

Message 6 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@6speed8 wrote:

I had my 341 meeting in Frbruary.  Can I apply for cards before I receive the discharge?

I would personally wait until you have been discharged,  Some may agree and some will disagree.  Once discharged I would go over your reports with a fine tooth comb and make sure that everything is IIB.  Once that is completed then I would begin to app.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.