Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just filed.... Now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just filed.... Now what?

My husband and I just filed last week. We are currently awaiting notice for the meeting of the creditors. Just looking for some advice on what steps we should take to start rebuilding as we would like to start that process asap. We have a house and 2 financed vehicles which we are keeping and not reaffirming. Any advice/ guidance would be greatly appreciated! 😳
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just filed.... Now what?

Welcome to MyFICO!

Best advice I can think of now for your situation is to put together your post bankruptcy budget. Check out daveramsey.com or YNAB.com if you need help in budgeting.   If you have filed Bk, you probably need help in that area as most of us did in your shoes.

Wait until you have your discharge in hand and then start to clean up your reports. It takes a while to get each of the tradelines reporting correctly in some cases.

Then, after you have a budget and cleaned up your reports, read this thread for rebuilding:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great start! Thank you
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely agree with StartingOver. I'm one that needs to start working on a budget as well.

The other thing to remember is patience. For some of us, the mess we created was over time, others it happened with a major single incident. Regardless of how you got into the mess that caused the bankruptcy, recovering from it takes time and patience.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Read every thread you can on here. I didn't find this forum until a few months after discharge and made some mistakes before finding this. You will be ahead of the game if you make a plan...stick to it, but make it adaptable as well.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATE*** I received the notice for the meeting of the creditors today. 9/30. Our atty mentioned to us that we might have to provide documentation regarding "presumption of abuse". It mentions something about that on our hearing notice. Is that just stating what they do at the meeting, or is that stating that we have to provide additional documents?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

this was quoted from a bankruptcy advisor on bankrate.com

"For those unfamiliar with the bankruptcy process, a presumption of abuse typically arises when a debtor's income exceeds the median income of all individuals in the debtor's state. Or the debtor lists expenses that exceed permissible expenses. The United States Bankruptcy Trustee presumes that the debtor is trying to abuse the bankruptcy system and notifies the debtor by sending a presumption of abuse letter.

When you have income above the median income for the state you live in, you must pass the "means test." In general, this test is used to see if your income available for debt repayment over that five-year period is $10,000 or more, then Chapter 13 will be required. In other words, anyone earning above the state median, and with at least $166.67 per month of available income, will automatically be denied Chapter 7. So, for example, if the court determines that you have $200 per month income above living expenses, $200 times 60 is $12,000. Because $12,000 is above $10,000, you're stuck with Chapter 13.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/debt/chapter-7-versus-chapter-1.aspx#ixzz3jbEBOGHM
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook"

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You actually were notified that there is a presumption of abuse or that there hadn't been a decision on the assumption on abuse yet?

I was an above median filer as well, filed in April discharged in July.  I was nervous pretty much the entire process.  My daycare expenses had me failing the means test by close to 500 a month.  I almost immediately received the notice that there was no presumption of abuse.  

Do you know what your numbers looked like?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand correctly, the letter states that if there is a presumption.... Then we will be notified. Our numbers were close, our atty said we would probably have to provide documents that our expenses are really what they are because she had to do some editing because I had two jobs at one point this year... But now I just have the one. So she expects that we will have to show something to the trustee. I'm so anxious! I can't wait until this is all behind us.
Message 8 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband and I just filed last week. We are currently awaiting notice for the meeting of the creditors. Just looking for some advice on what steps we should take to start rebuilding as we would like to start that process asap. We have a house and 2 financed vehicles which we are keeping and not reaffirming. Any advice/ guidance would be greatly appreciated! 😳

EDITED - I posted before reading the whole thread.

Just follow your attorney's guidance. It may be a matter fo some additional documentation and hopefully nothing that required modifications of the filed papers.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.