Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just googled my name and my BK filing on internet :( Feel like crying

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just googled my name and my BK filing on internet :( Feel like crying

by the way..im having issues with my user id. Had to change it.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine didn't show up in Google for four months. Only once our house went ito foreclosure and a sheriff's sale was scheduled. It does stink, I agree.

But when I feel huminilated about it, I remember WHY i filed, and what the crcumstances were. I can sleep at night knowing that I wasn't trying to cheat the system. It just didn't work out for us in the real estate market.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please don't take this as me saying you brought this on yourself... but you did not do yourself any favors by repeatedly "googling" yourself.  

Keep in mind how Google works.  Every time someone does a search on a subject on Google (and other search engines), the search engine spins up a dedicated application that starts crawling the web looking for information on that subject.  It does not, it cannot, find everything about a subject on the first search.  But, the more often a subject is "googled", the more information Google gathers on that subject.  That is how Google is able to return to you millions of records from across the world on popular subjects in only milliseconds.  

So, by googling yourself on a regular basis, you actually helped Google builds up a larger volume of available information about you.  The bright side is, Google can't afford to keep all the information it finds about everything at ready reference forever.  Stop searching for yourself and let the subject grow stale.  The volume of information will eventually begin to degrade over time.  

It's a sad Catch 22.  You won't know how accessible your BK records are unless you search for them, but the act of searching for them will make them easier to find.  Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You took the words out of my mouth. I Google my name and my heart fell to my feet, I'm mortified. I filed when I lost my job in 08' . It said it was posted in 14'
I feel you pain
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just googled my sister's name + bankruptcy, it shows what chapter she filed, when it was filed and discharged, her entire name and complete address!

Message 15 of 17
jim44
Established Contributor

When I switched email boxes from Excite to Gmail, I tried the option of having all of my mail automatically sent from Excite to Gmail. Google is my home page and instead of typing my email address in the gmail box, I typed in the search line.  The first thing that came up was my question of how to import my Excite mail to Gmail. The whole conversation was there including the answer for anyone to read.

I sold a condo and signed the closing papers for my partner using a POA.. It was an embarassing short sale and the title agent wanted a copy of the POA.  As I live in Florida it's all public info and the full image of the POA is on the Clerk of Court website for everyone to see.  I petitioned the court to have at least the POA sealed and was denied. 

In this day and age everything is public... and I mean all your personal information.  The more you use social media, the more exposed you will be.... unfortunately. 

Message 16 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

Word of caution - the more you Google yourself, the more relevant you become. Stop looking Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.