Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just googled my name and my BK filing on internet :( Feel like crying

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just googled my name and my BK filing on internet :( Feel like crying

I consider myself to be a private person. And one of the very first things i did when i even THOUGHT about filing BK was to research how public it is. Yes, i realize its public record. But i what i wanted to know if i typed my name in a google search box, would it come up that way..versus someone getting getting on say pacer and viewing it that way. Everyone googles daily. They dont go on pacer...unless i guess its one of us. I DID NOT want my employer knowing about this, nor anyone other than my family and my attorney. I read where it wouldnt come up in a google search..and then i read where it would..if the trustee has her calendar assesible on the court website with all the filings, etc. I have literaly checked google EVERYDAY since i filed 2 weeks ago and everytime i hit that search i could vomit. I have been so friggin paranoid over this, i cant even begin to tell you. Im just "that type" of person. well low and behold, I check it tonight and THERE IT IS!!!!!! Publicized for anyone who wants to type me in the box. I honestly felt like i was having a panic attack. My first thought was how the hell do i get that off. Yea right, its not going to happen is it? How long will it be there?! I wish i could crawl in a hole. Im sick to my stomach y'all.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just googled my name and my BK filing on internet :( Feel like crying

That's odd. When I type in my name, my information is not available. I hope it doesn't show up in google search. Now you make me want to keep checking.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My name comes right up and after it it says something about bankruptcy filing for the area im living in. And when you click on it, the site is called Inforuptcy.com. Im going to see if theres any way possible it can be removed. Lord, I pray. This is utterly humilating. And i was just about to go to bed early. Now im wide awake! :-/

Message 3 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My name comes right up and after it it says something about bankruptcy filing for the area im living in. And when you click on it, the site is called Inforuptcy.com. Im going to see if theres any way possible it can be removed. Lord, I pray. This is utterly humilating. And i was just about to go to bed early. Now im wide awake! :-/

This is all public info IMO the only way it wont be available in the public arena is to file a motion with the court to have the case records sealed.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you serious! Smiley Sad Im so digusted right now. I just filed 2 weeks ago. I clicked on the provacy disclosure to that website, read it and sent them an email asking them what i could do to have it removed, if at all possible. I dont mind this being public record..in the sense that someone would literally have to search for my name through the BK court system, pacer etc. I figured if i kept this as private as i have..no one would have any inkling as to my filing. Or any reason to even think i would file. But hell, if its going to be coming up in google..well damn, im doomed. I will keep y'all posted if i get a response from the customer service peeps behind that site. The best part is when you click on that article, it immediately goes to a list of all people and businesses in my area who have filed. And my name wasnt on the listed page, and it says nicely at the bottom..in so many words..if you did not see the person's name you're looking for, got to pacer! That's even better! Go to pacer and you can buy my whole damn case for your viewing pleasures. Geezus.

Message 5 of 17
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

In my home state, bankruptcy filings are published as public records, as are marriages, divorces and lawsuits, weekly. This is done in the big newspaper in the capital city and then a week later in my hometown newspaper. Everybody knows everybody's business in the small town.
Message 6 of 17
bstone
Frequent Contributor

You're making this out to be the end of the world, which it isn't.

First off, how many people are Googling you? Unless you're a C-level executive looking for a new job or a prominent person in your area, my guess is no one but you. And so what if they do. This too shall pass.

Second, BK doesn't have the same negative view as 30 years ago. Probably some of your co-workers and friends have filed previously, maybe even your boss.

Third, as has already been said, the filing is public record and you knew this before you filed. If the concern of someone finding out is this great you should have not filed.

There's nothing you can do about it don't stress about it, the point of filing BK is to eliminate financial stress. Chances are you won't have any luck removing your info from the Web because it's not incorrect and is public record.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 7 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I filed BR13....

... and don't give one rat's ass what anyone thinks.  Please google me.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It goes down over time. The results will always pop up, but I didn't see it on me or my wife in the first 10 pages of search results. I might recommend becomming active on social media as these things will get a higher search ranking and and mention of your bk will end up buried further down than anyone is likely to look.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i wish i had that "hell with it" kind of attitude as some of you. That would certainly make it better! Maybe months down the road i will get there! Smiley Happy But right now, i am not there. I do participate in some social media. But this comes up in the first page of google. Theres hardly anything on me with google.And it doesnt help that i have a weird name..thats not very common.Not that i could say 'hey, thats not me".. I dont know who googles me, maybe no one..but i google lots of folks, lots of long lost friends, etc. Im sure  this isnt the end of it either. I bet they'll be more that comes up once i have the 341 meeting. Oh well. I cant do anything. Just take that walk of shame. BUT thank God BK is an option, right!? Or we'd all be screwed. Can't wait to get this behind me. Wish i could fast forward to 10 years from now.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.