cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my BK 7 discharged and got approved for Discover secured card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my BK 7 discharged and got approved for Discover secured card!

Hi everyone, I have been learning a lot from this forum and I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to this site.

I filed chapter 7 on 4-17-2017 and received a discharge on 8/7/2017. (I'm married but filed individual BK)

My score(from credit Karma) before filing was 555(I forgot which one), right after filing, it dropped to 480ish and now TU:675 as of today according to Credit Karma.

After all the reading and researching on here, I decided to go for self lender first. I got on their website today and set the account up with $1100 option($97 monthly payment) and then also applied for Discover secured card. I got approved within minutes! (only 5 days from discharge)

They said my card will be delivered within 2 weeks.

It seems that everyone recommends cap 1 but I burned 2 cap one credit cards in my BK so I had to avoid it.

I wanted to apply for one unsecured credit card too, but I felt it was too soon to try...Which one should I try next?? maybe in 6 months or so??

Anyway, I'm so excited for my new journey!

I'll try to update how it goes. 

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got my BK 7 discharged and got approved for Discover secured card!

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

That thread should answer your question about what to apply for. With that in mind, it probably won't hurt to try Capital One. They have approved people that have burned them. If you're on their blacklist they won't pull your credit. I always suggest trying an unsecured card (within reason) before going the secured route.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you leonel9! I will check that thread out. Maybe
I will try cap one too..
Message 3 of 7
MissMc89
New Contributor

Congratulations! I burned Cap1 as well and didn't get anything on the pre qual site. You're the second person I've read who's used self lender. I may check it out, 

Message 4 of 7
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

The great news about Cap1 is that they won't pull your credit if you burned them. I burned them and I kept applying until they approved me 6 months after discharge.
Started 11/2020 EQ 549 TU 580 EX 559
Currently 12/2020 EQ 541 TU 606 EX 576
2021 FICO Goal 680 on all 3
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MissMc89 wrote:

Congratulations! I burned Cap1 as well and didn't get anything on the pre qual site. You're the second person I've read who's used self lender. I may check it out, 

Thank you, MissMc89 Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DiamondDan73 wrote:
The great news about Cap1 is that they won't pull your credit if you burned them. I burned them and I kept applying until they approved me 6 months after discharge.

DiamondDan 73, that's good to know.. I'll definitely try that!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.