Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting out...

tag
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Just starting out...

Anyone else just starting out with bankruptcy like me? No disrespect to anyone but I see posts where people are half way through or at the tail end of their bankruptcy. And some who have filed years ago. While its encouraging to know you're not alone it can also help to know someone is just starting out, basically in infantry stage of this...:/

I'm going in today to go over everything and sign paperwork and my nerves have taken over again.

Collector called a family member looking for me. I immediately called them back and informed them to contact my attorney. The moment I asked if she was ready to take the information. The woman became snippy and sounding annoyed. She asked me to hold the line and I was transferred to her supervisor. Another woman came on the line and started saying things about charge offs and proceeded on about programs they could offer me. I responded with I'm not calling to discuss anything other than to give you my attorneys contact information and to request for your business not to contact my family members.

This is nerve wrecking. They need to offer free counseling for the angst and stress you go through in the bankruptcy life cycle. JMO

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Just starting out...

For you and the family. Dont answer the calls. Go to the lawyer. Pay him/her their fees. They file all you have to give them and sign a bunch of papers, and the automatic stay kicks in within a few days. Then you can answer the phone again.

Message 2 of 15
empressj
Frequent Contributor

All fees have been paid. I'm going in to review everything and sign this afternoon.

Thank you for your response.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 3 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Cool! Good luck. Been in your shoes. Meeting of the Creditors was my next shaky moment. Lawyer said no one shows up. Quit worrying. Walked out 5 mins later. Ahhhh. Then when that DC paper came in the mail. One big sigh of relief. A new life. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 15
ss44

We filed today too.  The whole thing is very stressful.  We have been very lucky that none of our creditors have called family members. That would have been mortifying for me.  We have tried to tell as few people as possible.  I'm looking forward to getting this whole process completed and starting to rebuild! Good luck!

Message 5 of 15
empressj
Frequent Contributor

We've officially filed today. Thankfully the creditor called my mom and she knows what we've been going through so I wasn't too embarrassed  :/ Thank you for responding and best of luck to you too

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I just filed August 2016, and I am so less stressed about my finances and I'm only a few months into this thing. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I just filed August 2016, and I am so less stressed about my finances and I'm only a few months into this thing. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Don't be stressed! This should be the least stresesd part of your life right now, not having all that debt on your shoulders. Just breath, take it a day at a time. Make a plan and a budget, this is your due over so make it a good one!

Message 8 of 15
empressj
Frequent Contributor

My 341 meeting is next week. I am so nervous and want to get pass this.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. You're right! The budgeting part is hard because most of my income goes into the BK, but it's getting me disciplined.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.