cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting

tag
zappanna

Just starting

So I just set up an appointment to meet wit a lawyer. Is it ok to talk to more than one?  I've never done something like this so I'm a little worried of what to expect.  Should I keep my capital one or let it go? Will I be able to get another one after the discharge, I don't have amex or discover, i have 5 cards, 3 Visa 2 Master Card  including the capital one,  with about 1200 to 1500 on each. My other debts are about 12000. I also have a van with about $3500 still owed on it. Not a lot I know but I'm on disability. So is it worth it for me to go bankrupt?

My credit scores are 416Equifax  506 TransUnion I haven't check the other one yet.

\
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Just starting

Its not only okay, it is recommended to talk to more than one lawyer.  Several even, and then go with the one you're most comfortable with and has the fewest complaints filed against them.

If you're on disability, then its probably worth filing if you decide that's what's best for you, given what you owe..  

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Just starting

Yes ... consult as a few and choose one that makes you fell comfortable.

Regarding your credit cards, unfortunately you do not have a choice of whcih to include in a bankruptcy and which to not include. All creditors must be listed on the schedule of creditors/debt. They will all likely close once they are notified. A better strategy would be to pay them off and close them prior to filing. That way they won't be reported as included in a bankruptcy or closed by creditor.

All the best with your efforts.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.