Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kay/Jared during Bankruptcy

tag
MB2714
Regular Contributor

Kay/Jared during Bankruptcy

If they both have a $0 balance. If you keep them but file a Chapter 7 will Kay/Jared close account if their not included in a bankruptcy? Does anyone know how often they do credit pull reviews? Or do you have to ask for a review? I'm filing Chapter 7 and they were paid off a couple months ago. That's why I'm asking to keep them and my car as a positive. During 7 process. 

Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Kay/Jared during Bankruptcy

If your car has an auto loan balance - and you are not re-affirming - it will not keep reporing - and will update to a zero balance and that it was IIB.  You do not want to re-affirm the balance ony our loan. 

For the other two - all cards that I had that had a zero balance (most were with GECRB - now Synchrony Bank) were cancelled once they got wind of it. 

They don't have to do manual reviews to get notice of your filing - they may get it from public records separately.  I would say, don't count on it surviving - but if it does, then rejoice!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Kalamazoo2714 wrote:

If they both have a $0 balance. If you keep them but file a Chapter 7 will Kay/Jared close account if their not included in a bankruptcy? Does anyone know how often they do credit pull reviews? Or do you have to ask for a review? I'm filing Chapter 7 and they were paid off a couple months ago. That's why I'm asking to keep them and my car as a positive. During 7 process. 

It is far better for you to go ahead and close the Kay/Jared accounts if you have a zero balance before you file BK.  That way the account remains on your CR as a positive account. If you file BK even with a zero balance the account will be closed IIB (included in bankrupty) and reflect a negative account on your CR. You can not exclude accounts out of your BK filing.

If you close it prior to filing not only will the account remain a positive closed tradeline - when you go to open the accounts back up again after your discharge it will be easy peasy.

It is no issue at all with the bk courts to close zero balance accounts prior to filing. The issue comes up if you pay off accounts within 90 days of filing (preferential payments). How the creditors find out about your filing is they subscribe to a bk filing list - when a SS # matches one of their accounts from the list - bam, the account is closed IIB.  You don't want to turn a postive tradeline into a negative account by having it listed IIB.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My account with Kay's was open with a $0 balance when I filed for BK in 2012. 6 months after discharge it still showed open with $0 credit limit. I called them and and they had to do a "credit review" which was NOT a new application. My $5500 CL was decreased to $1000. Although the CL was decreased it still shows as a positive account on my CR. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My account with Kay's was open with a $0 balance when I filed for BK in 2012. 6 months after discharge it still showed open with $0 credit limit. I called them and and they had to do a "credit review" which was NOT a new application. My $5500 CL was decreased to $1000. Although the CL was decreased it still shows as a positive account on my CR. Smiley Happy

This shows that each creditor will respond in different ways. Open with a $0 credit limit? Is that like being "somewhat pregnant"?

That was a good outcome for you and a smart business decision by Kay.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.