cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep paying mortgage after filing and before the discharge is complete?

tag
carolina98
Contributor

Keep paying mortgage after filing and before the discharge is complete?

Did anyone continue paying their mortgage after they filed and before the BK discharge was complete?

I want to keep my home, have never been late on my mortgage, and don't want the late payments on my credit. My attorney says stop paying the bills.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tora

Re: Keep paying mortgage after filing and before the discharge is complete?

My lawyer advised me to stop paying credit card bills, but to continue paying the bills for things I wanted to reaffirm, such as my car.  Maybe there was a miscommunication between you and your lawyer, and s/he thinks you wanted to give up the house?

Message 2 of 3
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Keep paying mortgage after filing and before the discharge is complete?

@carolina98 wrote:

Did anyone continue paying their mortgage after they filed and before the BK discharge was complete?

I want to keep my home, have never been late on my mortgage, and don't want the late payments on my credit. My attorney says stop paying the bills.

"Stop paying bills" ONLY applies to unsecured creditors like credit cards. Secured creditors (mortgages, cars) and utility companies should be paid without interruption - especially if you want to hang on to the services in the future.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.